Problems with mobile data

Todd Welti

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
I have an LG G3. It works well most of the time except when I actually NEED it to work, then I seem to get problems. This is my second Android phone (Razr Maxx before) and I had similar problems then. I am getting one or 2 bars reception (I just now checked and I'm getting 4G at -107 dBm, 2 bars). NO data connectivity. Can't get anything on Android Play Store, nothing in Chrome. This happens to me all the time. Wifi works fine but mobile data is very sketchy even when I have several bars. I am on Verizon. I have tried changing from "Global" to "CDMA" network type. Not sure which one I'm supposed to use, but it doesn't seem to matter right now. No data either way. Am I missing something here, or should my next phone be an iPhone?

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
Does this happen just at home or is this happening in other places as well? We have this same issue in our neighborhood and at our house. I have spoke with Verizon they claim we are in an "excellent" service area but we get weak service.

sent from my sexy Note 4

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
I have read online that there can be many factors in the signal getting to your phone. Tress and buildings can hinder a signal. Also, I would suggest researching where the towers are located near you and how far you are from them.

sent from my sexy Note 4

OP
T

Todd Welti

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
I just spoke to customer service. They said I am between several towers and that that can actually be bad. They did reset my cell data (whatever that means). He also looked at my settings and said I should be on "always allow roaming", as that allows unhindered access to non-verizon cell towers (news to me). Also should be on "Global" network setting for similar reasons. I seem to have better access so far, though android market still seems not to want to come up (that may be a separate issue though, as I look around the internet forums).

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I just spoke to customer service. They said I am between several towers and that that can actually be bad. They did reset my cell data (whatever that means). He also looked at my settings and said I should be on "always allow roaming", as that allows unhindered access to non-verizon cell towers (news to me). Also should be on "Global" network setting for similar reasons. I seem to have better access so far, though android market still seems not to want to come up (that may be a separate issue though, as I look around the internet forums).
That actually makes sense. Phone's not sure which tower to latch onto. They have you allow roaming because with the Extended Network, there are very few places that you're actually completely Roaming and incurring additional charges, so it's allowing the phone to pick a tower and stick with it, rather than bouncing back and forth between several as it sounds like you were doing previously.

Glad you seem to be having better luck! Keep us posted.

hotpinkz

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
samsung galaxy
It would be great to set a phone to latch to an legitimate tower and not a false cell tower that is closer to avoid MITM attacks from portable cell phone towers. Anyone know about such an app, I would love to know about it. Thanks.

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SCH-I545 Galaxy S4 (Verizon)
I would perform a modem reset on your device! It's easy and may fix the issue! ;)

Turn device off.
Remove SIM from device. (Press in gently to unlock and remove.)
Power device on.
Wait 5 mins.
Turn device off.
Re Insert SIM. (Press in gently till it clicks in to lock.
Turn device on.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I was told once by customer service that the tower they put in up the road from me was causing signal reflection. They replaced my phone under warranty because the radio in mine had become so flaky from the constant bombardment of doubled signals it had become nigh unusable.