Problems with Handcent.

jwhit007

Reaction score
I have already done a search but didn't get relevant posts. So, here goes...whenever I used to text someone Handcent let me search through my contacts and pick one that i wanted to text. However, today instead of taking me to my contacts it brings up a keyboard and I have to type in the first few letters of the name. Also, the backspace function appears disabled because every time i hit it the letter "m" appears.The only thing I can think of that's different is I was having horrible lag so I started overclocking the phone. Any ideas?
Thanks.

EddyBalls

Reaction score
first off what rom are you running? have you tried uninstalling the app? have you tried fixing the permissions for handcent, or for all your apps in general? in the worst case scenario, you might have to backup your nand and just restart it, but even then doing the nand backup might just save all the messed up settings you have. so a clean wipe would always fix it. and no, overclocking would not mess around with any of that.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Are you sure you're hitting the green + symbol? And is your screen dirty? My wifes DX sometimes acts funny like this but a good cleaning of the screen fixes it up.

Sent from somewhere...

EddyBalls

Reaction score
Are you sure you're hitting the green + symbol? And is your screen dirty? My wifes DX sometimes acts funny like this but a good cleaning of the screen fixes it up.

Sent from somewhere...

he's right, and i assume you're using the on-screen keyboard and not the physical keyboard right?

OP
J

jwhit007

Reaction score
I'm running CyanogenMod 6.0.0, Android version 2.2, and Build FRG22D.Uninstalling Handcent hasn't helped and cleaning the keyboard does nothing. The problem happens with the stock keyboard and Swype keyboard. Since M is next to the backspace key, I'm assuming that is where the problem lies? Also, the problem just kinda started last night, so I really don't know what to do. I really don't want to have to flash the ROM again. And I'm fairly certain this is not a problem with the phone being rooted, as I've been rooted for about 3 months with no problems except lag.

EddyBalls

Reaction score
sorry for the late reply mate. i think the problem really does lie with swype. did you download it apk off the net without having a beta key registered to it? becuase if you did, swype doesn't really work so far, since it's still in beta stage, and is not recommended to have on a droid at the moment. so what i would do is uninstall it, and just use htc IME mod or something. that works just fine, and is a better (in some ways) than the stock keyboard.