problems with e-mail

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions & Site Assistance' started by Sheriff, Dec 14, 2010.

  1. Sheriff

    Sheriff New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2010
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Ratings:
    +0
    my droid just quit sending and replying to emails. It receives fine and was sending and then just quit
     
  2. Djay

    Djay Member

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2010
    Messages:
    64
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    6
    Ratings:
    +0
    what kind of email is it? your gmail?
     
  3. Sheriff

    Sheriff New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2010
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Ratings:
    +0
    e-mail type

    no it is our department e-mail thru outlook
     
  4. Djay

    Djay Member

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2010
    Messages:
    64
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    6
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok so your gmail works just not that one. Have you already tried taking your email out and then putting it back in again?
     
  5. Sheriff

    Sheriff New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2010
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Ratings:
    +0
    tried that
     
  6. Djay

    Djay Member

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2010
    Messages:
    64
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    6
    Ratings:
    +0
    well there are know issues with outlook syncing on the droid 2 right now. Seems like thats the issue you are having. Moto is suppose to be coming with an update to fix the exchange issue.
     
  7. cfeltman

    cfeltman New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Ratings:
    +0
    Problems w/ emails after FRG83d?

    Howdy Sheriff,

    I too had the same problem right after the FRG83d update and this too bothered me for days... I think I may have the answer to your problem!

    The problem is, I don't think you will like my answer... :angry:
    So please don't shoot me Sheriff!!!

    FRG83d appears to have included some active sync enhancements and one of them may have also made active sync possible to work w/ Exchange 2010 servers. I suspect the active sync enhancement may have made the authentication process smarter so that that would be possible!

    I too couldn't retrieve my email for days because my droid indicated 'unable to connect, invalid userid or password'. I knew that wasn't correct but I thought maybe I had corrupted my login credentials during the update process so I deleted my active sync profile and attempted to recreate a new one. 'BIG MISTAKE' the wizard would now 'not' allow me to even recreate my profile as it was again indicating I was still using an incorrect login or password.

    Some internet searches indicated that some were successful only after performing a firmware reset on their cell phones while others were not even successful after that. I didn't want to loose all of my apps and take that chance so I decided to call Motorola support!

    While on hold w/ Motorola, as they too were unable to determine why I was having this issue, I decided to re-check my login settings on our Active Directory Server which is responsible for authentication privileges into our office network as well as our exchange 2003 email servers.

    Under my own login account I found there was a restriction enabled only allowing me to "log on to" a particular workstation in our office. (See AD img00 & img01) I then highlighted my workstation name and selected the remove button. I then selected the radio button to allow this user to log on to: 'All computers' (see AD img02) then selected the O.K button then applyed my profile changes.

    TA,DA... Magically, active sync began to work properly for me again!

    If you work for the police department or any other organization where security may be an issue, your IT may have placed restrictions on which systems you may work from for security purposes. If this is the case then this may be why you are 'now' unable to retrieve your exchange emails using your FRG83d Android updated operating system!

    This may or may 'not' be resolved in the next update as this may be a new security feature not a bug! If they do fix this issue then great as I have read these settings should not affect exchange OWA but with this build FRG83d Active Directory may actually now see your cell phone as a workstation device instead of a web device which may not be good for users but great for us IT admins!

    If Motorola doesn't fix this issue you may need to contact your IT department to have them allow you 'all computers' access so you will be able to receive your emails.

    P.S. I tried to add my droid MIE number to see if we could maintain a certain abount of network security for all other accounts other than my own as I am an IT admin but that didn't work either. DHCP detected my phone as android_22a000000xxxxxxxx which that name is too long to add to my AD list of allowed machine I can access the network with so until Motorola changes the way active sync authenticates some may simply be out of luck retrieving their email in this manner moving forward.

    I hate to be the barer of bad news but I know this will work for some but for others right now they will have to wait.

    I tried to convey this to Motorola today and I don't know if the message was conveyed well so please share my findings with as many as you can so they will consider fixing this for everyone.

    Thanks, I hope this helps!
     
Search tags for this page
droid razr e-mail problems
,
mailbox name invalid maildroid
,
maildroid credentials invalid
,
maildroid exchange credentials invalid
,
maildroid exchange mailbox name invalid
,
maildroid mailbox name
,

maildroid mailbox name invalid

,
maildroid mailbox name invalid status 404
,
maildroid ssl invalid
,
maildroid subscription is invalid