problems with calls

myaswiller

Reaction score
I've been having problems with my phone when I am talking to people. They can't hear me and they say it echoes and it sounds like I am on speaker phone and far away from the phone but I am not. I got a new phone and its still doing it. My old phone really had a problem though because when I made a video of my daughter, there was absolutely no sound. But this phone isn't even a week old and the sound on videos is fine. So anybody know why this is happening?? I couldn't find anything online. I would greatly appreciate some help!!

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums

SAVVY_1

Reaction score
I had similar complaints from callers until I realized that having the phone on my left ear and resting on my shoulder blocked the microphone. Unfortunately, the designers didn't consider us "left-handed" people.

OP
M

myaswiller

Reaction score
I had similar complaints from callers until I realized that having the phone on my left ear and resting on my shoulder blocked the microphone. Unfortunately, the designers didn't consider us "left-handed" people.

Well, I am right handed and I don't use my shoulder to talk when it does this anyway.

SAVVY_1

Reaction score
I wasn't implying that you are left-handed and I don't talk with the phone on my shoulder either. Sometimes, I rested it there momentarily but quickly realized that the microphone was obstructed.
As far as your request for answers, you're way too vague. This is like pulling questions out of a hat to find out what circumstances surround your phone issues. You may want to mention when it happens i.e. when using bluetooth, driving, standing in a tunnel...
There are countless possibilities as to what can be causing your phone echoing and not being heard.
FYI: The more specific you are the easier and faster the resolution.

Last edited:

SAVVY_1

Reaction score
It's a catch-22, either keep the current phone and try to fix the issues or swap it out for a "certified pre-owned" phone that may have other issues.

devilduck

Reaction score
I sometimes have the same, or similar, problem.
But, when I hear myself "echo", it's usually because a vehicle is in front of me, bouncing my signal back at me (I presume).
I haven't figured out why it is that, at times, I can't hear the person on the other end. I am assuming it
s a problem with my BlueTooth headset (a Plantronics 510). When I turn it off and use the phone dirrectly, the sound is fien.

OP
M

myaswiller

Reaction score
I wasn't implying that you are left-handed and I don't talk with the phone on my shoulder either. Sometimes, I rested it there momentarily but quickly realized that the microphone was obstructed.
As far as your request for answers, you're way too vague. This is like pulling questions out of a hat to find out what circumstances surround your phone issues. You may want to mention when it happens i.e. when using bluetooth, driving, standing in a tunnel...
There are countless possibilities as to what can be causing your phone echoing and not being heard.
FYI: The more specific you are the easier and faster the resolution.

I don't see how I was vague. It does it ALL the time. I will be in my house, using my phone, and it does it. I don't use bluetooth and Nebraska has no tunnels. ;) Any other possibilities since none of those apply to me?

OP
M

myaswiller

Reaction score
I sometimes have the same, or similar, problem.
But, when I hear myself "echo", it's usually because a vehicle is in front of me, bouncing my signal back at me (I presume).
I haven't figured out why it is that, at times, I can't hear the person on the other end. I am assuming it
s a problem with my BlueTooth headset (a Plantronics 510). When I turn it off and use the phone dirrectly, the sound is fien.

I don't use bluetooth and I don't talk when I am driving. It's when I am home and it never used to do this. When I first got my Pro, no problems. Now I have had two and it is having the same problems.

OP
M

myaswiller

Reaction score
It's a catch-22, either keep the current phone and try to fix the issues or swap it out for a "certified pre-owned" phone that may have other issues.

I already switched it out for a certified pre owned phone. It's not even a week old yet. I find it difficult to believe that both phones are having the exact same problem. Is there only the one mic at the bottom? My case isn't covering anything, I believe. I got the case straight from Verizon so it shouldn't be.

SAVVY_1

Reaction score
It's unlikely that both phones are eliciting the same problem.
If, from what I understand,
** this problem is only happening inside/ near your house?
** Have you noticed if the signal strength has decreased recently?
If yes, then I would venture to say the cell tower in your grid could be where the problem is.
** Have you removed the phone cover? Any difference?

SAVVY_1

Reaction score
There's also the possibility that the cell phone tower closest to you has been tweaked just enough to reduce signal strength & causing interference.
Anybody else with Verizon service in your house? Or neighbors? If so, how's their service been?
Again, this would apply if the issue occurs only in or near your house.

OP
M

myaswiller

Reaction score
It's unlikely that both phones are eliciting the same problem.
If, from what I understand,
** this problem is only happening inside/ near your house?
** Have you noticed if the signal strength has decreased recently?
If yes, then I would venture to say the cell tower in your grid could be where the problem is.
** Have you removed the phone cover? Any difference?

I don't call much unless I am home. Haven't noticed any signal decrease. I tried testing it out today by removing the case and it seemed better, maybe. Unless it just didn't start acting weird right away. The microphone isn't covered by my case and its the blue silicone one from Verizon so I don't know why it would make my calls sound weird.

OP
M

myaswiller

Reaction score
So figured out the problem was my new case. I broke my plastic one and got a silicone one from Verizon. I figured out if I took my case off people could hear me fine. I took it back to Verizon and got a plastic one again and its working great. No idea why I couldn't hear with the silicone one. I can't be the only one who has this problem.

Sent from my DROID Pro using DroidForums