Problems with BB v0.2.1

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by Reserved Name, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Reserved Name

Reserved Name Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Where do I start?? Pete has always had great stuff but these bugs are getting really damn annoying!

#1 Voice Search, closes, often before it even opens, or while listening, or while launching navigation! It SOMETIMES goes through, but so rarely it's not even worth opening. No force close dialogues, only closing as if it never happened. Seriously need this to quickly access navigation in the car (at a stop light mind you, not doing 80 while on my phone)

#2 App Drawer closing, without being touched. I am running LauncherPro and have been for some time; this is the first I have encountered this frustrating problem. I may attribute many of the launcher bugs to LauncherPro but I haven't seen these bugs before switching up from .2 to .2.1

#3 Godmode script seems to have little effect on Astro, as it does not allow me to copy files to system or edit them, or install system apps. Always reports installation unsuccessful, as it did when I tried reinstalling voicesearch.apk. I can still cp files to system/app but this is a pain and defeats the purpose of godmode.

#4 Battery Life. Since switching up to Froyo, has been HORRIBLE. Lasting less than 10 hours even with light usage and Juicedefender enabled. Constantly seeing the sync icon in the notification bar, it seems to be syncing facebook contacts and other **** all the time, even though I want it to auto sync in the background, it seems like this is happening in shorter intervals than before.

5# Sometimes losing 3g, have to reboot or enter airplane mode for 10 seconds. Also, a big pain-those shutdown options. I already removed them so it's no issue for me but it's worth mentioning.

EDIT: #6 Oh, and docking, many times the Multimedia Station notification will not appear in the notification bar. Although it will open the clock app, will not allow me to reaccess it through the notification bar. Again, minor issue, but worse than before, when it worked.

#7 Jeez, they keep coming. Astro reloads the file system constantly. Just while sitting in /sdcard it keeps reflashing the directory every few seconds. Insanely irritating. I can hardly even select a file.

2. JSans

JSans New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    my biggest thing is the phone shutting off by itself. It's usually when I go to look to see if i got a txt and click the power button then it freezes and shuts off and I have to manually turn it back on. Not only does it do that but also, it has messed up my widgets where i have to reapply or reinstall like beautiful widgets because when I go to re-add them after turning the phone on after the unwanted shutdown. It always loads up the Froyo Home instead of the LauncherPro that I have installed only when I hit the home key then it will come up. I love bugless beast but The step to froyo seems to be harder to get working right. I appreciate the time people have put into making roms, I sure couldn't do it lol

3. ZeroBarrier

ZeroBarrier Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Not even one problem here with voice search, so my best guess is maybe your phone isn't playing very nicely with whatever kernel you installed; try changing it.

No problems here with launcher pro; again, maybe a kernel problem or even too many apps running in the background causing your launcher to get killed from memory.

This is already well known, I believe Pete forgot to include whatever he does to get god-mode to work with Astro in this version and, I might be wrong, but I sort of remember reading he'll fix it in the next update. I just recommend getting Root Explorer, never have to worry about Root file management with this bad boy.

This one sounds easy, uninstall juice defender and/or try a different kernel. Let the system do it's thing (I'm not saying it will defenetly fix the problem, but from my experience Pete's ROMs run their best on their own; no setCPU, no task killers, no juice defenders, period. Getting 14 to 16 hours here of mild to heavy use).

I'm drawing a blank on this one, sorry.

The dock icon doesn't exist anymore; ever since official 2.1 I believe, but Pete (like many others) used to include the dock app from 2.0.1 on their ROMs because it played well with 2.1. Froyo ROMs use whatever clock app comes with it and it does not have a dock icon what-so-ever anymore. The app is called DeskClockGoogle.apk, go ahead and pull it apart and see for yourself.

This one I have to wholeheartedly agree with, but I'm unsure if it's because of Froyo, JIT, or just Astro not updated to play nice with Froyo, so I'll just wait for updates of both Astro and Froyo.

4. Reserved Name

Reserved Name Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Couple fixes

Again, don't know where to begin. Many of these problems appear to be fixed now but I don't know which of these things did it so I will recount in detail. I removed voicesearch from /system/app and then tried replacing it from pete's 0.2.1 just for ****s and giggles, without reinstalling I just replaced the file. Ran pete's fix permissions from rom manager and it still didn't work. Tried lowering the kernel in setcpu from 1.2 to 800. At this point voicesearch still didn't work. Then I removed it again and reinstalled it from /sdcard using the app manager, installed successfully (thank god). Then I removed juicyplot and reinstalled it from market but moved it to the phone before opening it. The default is still installing from SD card, I guess running the juicy plot widget while it was installed on SD might have had something to do with some bugs. I have tried many kernels because of temperature issues and will continue to do so but I don't think it's affected the app drawer issue because I've had it before on different kernels. Since reinstalling voice search and moving juicy plot to the phone before loading it, updating Rom Manager and CW recovery, and running the fix permissions from Rom Manager (not pete's), I had no issues with voice search (until later!!), it had seemed as though everything was fine, but only momentarily, less than an hour later the app drawer was buggy again, and voice search FC'd or otherwise canceled itself. I am in the process of removing juicy plot again to see if that might be related. If it doesn't work I will flash some other kernels. Also, even though it worked before, VoiceSearch had reinstalled on the SD card and now won't work. I moved it to the phone and am rerunning RM's fix permissions before flashing a new kernel and then rebooting. Will continue to update until my app drawer stays open goddammit :icon_evil:

5. ZeroBarrier

ZeroBarrier Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    This really does sound like too many background apps eating at your memory, if it's working ok and then killing itself off sometimes, my best guess is that you have too many apps trying to run in the background and each one of them is satuarating your memory, try uninstalling one by one any app you know for sure that constantly run in a background process (Skype, foursquare, gowalla, gesture search, loopt; these are a few apps that I know of that always run in a background process no matter if you installed it and have never even ran the damn thing once).

Also try taking off widgets that use a background process (facebook, beautiful widgets, genie widget, pure grid calander, pure messenger; just to name a few) one at a time and see if that helps.

Do anything you can think of to keep as much free memory open and see if that resolves your problem, if it does, then proceed to install/re-add apps/widgets one at a time till you see it re-appear (that way you'll know if it's lack of memory).

6. StandardSanders

StandardSanders New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hijacked!

I've noticed the task killer thing as well, but I've still been using SetCPU, mostly to monitor temps. Do you happen to know of a good temp monitor replacement for SetCPU with a 1x1 widget if possible?

7. zerosouls

zerosouls Soulless Droid Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    These Froyo ROM's are bound to be unstable. I am not trying to diss pete at all, but there are many other Froyo ROM's out there that seem to run much more stable, at least for me.

Again, Anything Froyo is going to be experimental and I wouldn't count on them too much as your main ROM until google gives out the goods on Froyo.

8. ndhill1976

ndhill1976 Member

Ratings:
    +0

There are instructions in Pete's thread where you downloaded the ROM from on how to turn off the reboot feature, it is explained on page 2 or 3 I think.

Your widget problem is because those apps are stored on the Sdcard. Move them back to your phone and you will be okay, this includes your launcher that you use.

9. jasonppp

jasonppp Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +1

i agree with everything posted in this thread but before complaining you need to read it is in "BETA" version. i believe 100% all stable releases works in bugless beast and run smooth. but you are right with every complaint you posted the launcher crashed alot it is a memory hog battery sucks i haven't tried god script or docking. all installs if your sd is partitioned install on the card which means none of the widgets work. i have tried many kernals starting with original install a p3 and chevy's getting awsome baseline but it is laggy as hell i gonna uninstall abd revert back to 1.1 untul a stable version comes out. not to mention barnacle tether dont work with 2.2 and many more problems then what you posted but i thinkk you covered enough for now. if you got advance task manager you have to exclude the launcher beautiful widgets and live wallpaper or phone crashes and gets stuck in a boot loop

10. jasonppp

Ratings:
    +1
    only problem i seen with chevy's and jrummy's is the theme restricts clocking to me that is gay nexbeast for 2.2 sucks also max clock 800

the only reason the others seem more stable is the auto app install works right i tried most of them unimpressed. remove clock restrictions and i might get reinterested in 2.2 until then back to bb 1.1

11. jasonppp

Ratings:
    +1
    ?Now what is the big difference between 2.1 and 2.2 that the widgets dont work on sd card?

2.1 does same thhing and runs smooth?

12. zerosouls

zerosouls Soulless Droid Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    1) They are not themes they are ROM's.
    2) I am running ChevyNo1 LowV 1.25GHz Kernel and it is running very fast, and very smooth on Kangerade
    3) No comment :p

13. ZeroBarrier

ZeroBarrier Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    TempMonitor in market, I use it and it's perfect; no widget but it displays the temp on your notification bar (I like that better, persistent temp info on any home screen and almost every app).

Only problem is it can't read CPU temp info from Froyo ROMs yet because of the Froyo kernels, but neither can setCPU (it displays the temp but that's actually the battery temp, not really the CPU temp).

14. StandardSanders

StandardSanders New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ah notification bar, now that would be handy. thanks

15. jasonppp

Ratings:
    +1

all i gonna say is try it fresh install bb 0.2 then add nextheme and prove to me the theme dont restrict clock to 800 mhz no matter the kernal you put in... yes they are roms but both chevy and jrummy's got themessetcpu autodetect will show the 1250 but in the same window shows the max at 800 mhz and then do bb with the default theme and watch the difference. I dont know about anyone else in this forum but i do know i didnt root my phone for a stock appearance

snap20100618_221334.png BB v0.2.1 ChevyNo1 7 slot ULV 1.25