Problems w/Sky Map, Maps, VZ Navigator on Incredible 2

Sashazur

Reaction score
Got my new Incredible 2 today.

With VZ Navigator and Google Maps, the phone seems confused about north vs. south - if I'm facing south, the little arrow representing me faces north, and vice-versa. This problem doesn't occur with east/west which is always OK.

A likely related problem exists with Google Sky Map - if I pan left/right, the map pans the reverse direction of what's expected, but panning up/down is OK.

Oddly, if I run a compass app, it works fine no matter which direction I'm facing.

I called Verizon about this and they couldn't help, the rep said he didn't have an Incredible 2 to try out, so he would research this and get back to me.

The phone's build number in software info is 1.34.605.4 CL341571 release-keys

P.S. I did re-calibrate the compass using the compass app.

OP
S

Sashazur

Reaction score
Verizon confirms this bug

Heard back from VZW support - the rep confirms this bug exists on all Incredible 2s. VZW is informing HTC, so I guess eventually there will be a software update.

bdemarco

Reaction score
same problem...sort of

I can report the same problem. If I walk / drive around, Google Maps will fix the orientation, presumably based a GPS reading of my motion. Oddly, though, when I went to the local corporate Verizon store to show the reps there this problem, it disappeared, and N/S were no longer inverted. The Inc 2in the store, however, did invert N/S in Google Maps. Once I got home --- N/S inverted again.

The compass app does always point to north correctly. It therefore seems to me that this is a Google Maps software problem.

When I called Verizon tech support, however, they claimed not to know anything about this.

Has anyone else observed this behavior?

bdemarco

Reaction score
N/S switcheroo

So far I've counted 4 people with this problem (across all forums). Anyone else want to confirm? Also helpful --- can anyone confirm that they do not have this problem?

Reaction score
So far I've counted 4 people with this problem (across all forums). Anyone else want to confirm? Also helpful --- can anyone confirm that they do not have this problem?

I can confirm I also have this issue. My GPS takes forever to lock. D-Inc one sitting right next to me locks right away and is 100% accurate. GPS on the D-Inc 2 is always a few miles off until it will eventually correct itself, then it will get pretty close to what the D-Inc one shows, which again, is 100% accurate to where I am.

Interesting. Hope I don't have a bad unit. Hope a software update fixes...

Droid noob

Reaction score
Heard back from VZW support - the rep confirms this bug exists on all Incredible 2s. VZW is informing HTC, so I guess eventually there will be a software update.

Same problem here with Dinc2

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

OP
S

Sashazur

Reaction score
More confirmation from VZW but not much new...

Well I emailed VZW thru their website to ask for an update on the problem, and asking if I would be able to return/exchange the phone later if there never was a timely fix. Below is the response I received (I've blanked out the names and dates for privacy reasons). I think it's pretty lame that they would still charge a restocking fee if I return/exchange the phone! (Not that I'm planning to at this point)

Dear _______,

Thank your for following up with us regarding the compass issue you are having with the Droid Incredible 2. I apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced. My name is ______ and I am happy to provide you with additional information regarding the compass issue.

______, I myself am an early adopter of the Droid Incredible 2, and understand the issue you are experiencing. This appears to be a software issue that HTC will most likely need to resolve. Unfortunately, we do not have an ETA on when this issue will be corrected, or when there will be a software update or patch. We are not able to guarantee that you will be able to change your phone in the future (say a couple months down the road) if the issue is still not resolved. However, you are covered by our 14 day worry free period.

The Droid Incredible 2 was activated on your line on ______, which means you have until ______ (14 days later) to return the device for a full refund, or exchange. If you feel that you would prefer a different device rather than take the chance that this issue will not be resolved in a timely manner I would definitely recommend taking the time to exchange the device. Please keep in mind that any returns or exchanges come with a $35 restocking fee.

As a Droid Incredible 2 user myself, I am hopeful a fix will be released soon. The device itself has only been available for three weeks which is hardly enough time for any manufacturer to compile information on any bugs, and develop a software patch.

________, thank you for giving me the opportunity to further address your concern regarding your Incredible 2's software issues! If you require further assistance feel free to reply to this email. We appreciate your business and thank you for being apart of the Verizon Wireless family since 2000!

Sincerely,
________

Verizon Wireless, Customer Service
Internet Response Team

AnnoyedDroid

Reaction score
I confirm the problem also. I just got my DInc2 tonite. Compass Mode in Google Maps acts as if headings are reflected about the East-West axis. Namely, it gets East and West correct but all headings in-between are flipped. So NOrth and South are flipped.

THIS TOTALLY SUCKS.

OP
S

Sashazur

Reaction score
Remember to complain to Verizon and HTC!

To everyone who has this problem, make sure you bring it to the attention of Verizon and HTC!

For Verizon, you can call them at *611 from your Verizon phone, or (800) 922-0204. Or you can email them at [email protected] (that's the address they responded to from after I submitted an inquiry on their site, and they do seem to read replies sent to that address).

For HTC, call 866-449-8358 or email them at HTC Mobile Phones - Customer Service - E-mail Support

Good luck!

AnnoyedDroid

Reaction score
HTC Confirms Part of Problem is with Google

I spoke with HTC Support this morning. Hold time was less than 2 minutes and they were great. They stayed on the phone while we did some troubleshooting.

The rep confirmed that "Google is aware of the SkyMaps issue and is working on it".

The rep also confirmed that the DInc2 in her hand running Google Maps was pointing in the opposite direction compared to her own android phone made by a competitor (Ooops!) also running Google Maps.

The rep remarked that this seems like a "pretty big problem" for a mapping application.

She opened a case and promised to do more troubleshooting when she can actually get outdoors. She said this is exactly what they need people to do -- call and let them know!

Great customer service, especially considering that the problem seems more likely to be on Google's end than HTCs.

AnnoyedDroid

Reaction score
Verizon Call Center Contacted

Told the story to Verizon (800-922-0204).

The rep promised to pass it on to Verizon Tech Support.

Hopefully they can help light a fire under HTC and/or Google.

Sebastian

Reaction score
Here is a quick work around to get it working ASAP.

When in your location menu, make sure you have the VZW Location Services On. This will enable the data services to find you. Once its on, the GPS will locate you VERY quickly.

OP
S

Sashazur

Reaction score
I also just called HTC

Didn't have to be on hold at all, got a very helpful guy who confirmed they know about this problem and they are working on an update to fix it.

He could not provide an ETA for the update; he says that HTC headquarters usually doesn't tell them about update schedules until the day before they are released.

He also said they are working on an Android 2.3 update for the phone which would come out later than the compass fix update; once again he could not provide an ETA for that either, but it's nice to know it's on the way!

AnnoyedDroid

Reaction score
Here is a quick work around to get it working ASAP.

When in your location menu, make sure you have the VZW Location Services On. This will enable the data services to find you. Once its on, the GPS will locate you VERY quickly.

Thanks, but that is not the solution for the problem I (among others) are having. Locating it not the problem. Orienting is the problem. This concerns the magnetometer, not the GPS.