Problems playing some videos in Froyo

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by W0Pdego, Jul 7, 2010.

1. W0Pdego

W0Pdego New Member

I have read around the forums and have noticed others having the same issues as I am being unable to play certain videos that were playable when i was running 2.1. They are unplayable by the Froyo movie app, and the video showed in Rock? player, but with horrible white noise instead of the sound. Anyone know of a fix yet?

P.S. everything else about this newest rom is amazing. Keep up the good work.
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  2. droijo

droijo New Member

What format are they?
  3. W0Pdego

W0Pdego New Member

a few 3g2 videos from my Dare that played just fine on Eclair. Some Mp4 videos as well
  4. OSX2000

OSX2000 New Member

Bump for an answer! :)

I've got a lot of videos on my Droid, from short clips to full TV episodes. They're all mencoder H.264 MP4s, and all play fine under 2.1, but only about half of them play under 2.2. I can't find any pattern to it, it seems like random chance.

Anyone have any helpful insight?
  5. geronimogman

geronimogman New Member

I used to have this problem also, and i recently fixed it, i was using clockwork recovery to change roms and such, but this is the exact process i did for it to work, i flashed clockwork recovery, then i flashed sp recovery,after that i moved all my videos on my sd card that i watch like movies n the show onto my computer and off the card for the time being, then i got my bb v.04 t ready by renaming to update.zip then rebooted into sprecovery the normal way by holdin x n the power button, then u wiped cache twice, then i did a factory reset twice, sorry i lost my stuff too, but then i installed the rom, and booted up signed into my gmail, then it worked perfectly now on froyo...i know its long but it worked for me hope it helps u all
  6. tlippert

tlippert New Member

Having the same problem.. some movies play others don't no pattern.. they are all m4v's ripped with handcent in the ipod format...
  7. geronimogman

geronimogman New Member

Did you all try my solution
  8. OSX2000

OSX2000 New Member

I just got home from work, and I'm about to try it. The dead videos were the only thing holding me back on 2.1, so this info definitely warrants giving 2.2 another try. Thanks.

I only use SPRecovery, so I'll take the videos off the card, load up my 2.2 nandroid backup, wipe my junk a couple times, and see if it works...after reloading the videos onto the SD, of course. Wish me luck.
  9. dwoid

dwoid New Member

Keep in mind that movie files with the same file extension may have been produced with different codecs...

All current Droid Froyo based ROMs fail when trying to play some movies of many common formats (.wmv, .mp4, etc...). Android 2.0.1 and 2.1 used to support these formats, so my best guess is this is just a bug or missing codecs in the currently available builds of Froyo. In Froyo, this fails in Gallery or any replacement movie viewer that uses the same Froyo underlying video handling system calls, including the browser. It produces error messages sometimes (cannot view this movie or file, etc...) and sometimes it just hangs.

(Froyo's Gallery does appear to work properly with videos produced with the Droid's camera.)

Since Froyo for other platforms does successfully support these movies, I'm fully expecting that this will be corrected before Froyo is officially released for the Droid. This issue has not been corrected in anything currently out, including source-based Froyo ROMs or even the new FRG01B leak, and it doesn't matter if complete wipes have been done or not at installation time.

Mentioned by name at the beginning of this thread, I'm using RockPlayer for manually playing movies:

DivX Support is here - RockPlayerBase - Android Forums

Here is a link directly to RockPlayer:

Rock(divx)Player.apk

I suspect RockPlayer contains and uses its own codecs, or it has work-arounds, or it properly recognizes and uses existing underlying codecs in Froyo.

RockPlayer is in a beta stage (which may have been aborted) and it doesn't handle high density long play movies very well (out of synch, weird sound issues, possible FCs). It also does not link directly through the browser. But at least for my phone's 22 long-play movies that have been reduced for small device viewing, it works very nicely.
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  10. dwoid

dwoid New Member

One additional note. I wonder if this could be a baseband issue, where the current Froyo compatible baseband (C_01.43.01P) does not contain all the codecs needed???

The reason I ask this is it appears that codecs for VOCODE may be stored in the baseband. It might seem logical to store all codecs there. Since Froyo's very early C_01.43.01P is pretty old now, it may have been incomplete in this way.

This is just a guess. Anyone have wisdom to share about basebands in general related to codecs, or specifically about C_01.43.01P?
  11. OSX2000

OSX2000 New Member

Looks like it's back to the waiting game for Froyo for me. Tried geronimo's solution with no success. No video playback is really a dealbreaker for me, despite all other features gained.
Search tags for this page
cant view videos in froyo
codec froyo
foroy videos
froyo cant view video
froyo codecs

froyo video codec

froyo video codecs

mp4 video player for froyo
video codecs android 2.2 froyo
video not play on froyo
video player for froyo