1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

problems if root?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by dodgemaniac, Feb 2, 2010.

1. dodgemaniac

dodgemaniac New Member

i have been lurking around here for awhile and seen a lot about rooting the droid and custom roms. Since the overclock i am really considering rooting my droid and using bugles beast rom.

Currently i have tried Gde and open home and my phone runs annoyingly slow and both programs force closed a lot. i mainly want the different themes and my phone to run faster as now it seems like since i have many apps it just runs slow.

My main question is what permanent problems can i run into if i root? Also i have a mac. Are there any problems rooting and changing the files i need to using a mac?

any other comments on this subject welcome.
  2. windmeup

windmeup New Member

I finally acquired the nerve to root a few days ago, and I'm extremely glad I did. I too, was concerned with the rooting process, and whether or not I would enjoy it. The thread I used is listed below, and was of great help with my rooting. I've gained a lot of understanding in the category by reading these forums. I don't know nearly as much as a lot of people here, but after following this process, I learned a lot about the process of rooting, how to backup and restore using nandroid, and a lot of other important things that are used.

Now that I'm using Bugless Beast 950 mhz, I can't believe I ever enjoyed using my Droid as stock. When I underclock it back to 550 mhz, everything runs so slow I instantly want to overclock it again.

I used a Mac during my rooting process, as well as for each file that I move over to my phone, with no issues at all. I guess it depends on which rooting procedure you use, but the one below is completely mac friendly because all of the real work is done using your phone and nothing else. Once you drag the files to your SD card everything else is phone-based.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...step-step-no-adb-involved-noob-challenge.html
  3. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Fort Huachuca, AZ (Originally from Pittsburgh, PA)
  4. dodgemaniac

dodgemaniac New Member

wow thanks guys both posts were great and a lot of help!

the only other question i have is what are my chances i screw up my phone permanently and brick my phone? If i do this i just plan to do the steps in the noob challenge root thread then install the bugles beast. I will not be messing around making my own custom touches to it.

So what are my chances to really screw things up if i follow the steps in the threads mentioned above?
    not i am not a computer geek but i run it pretty well. just trying to find out all this ahead of time so i don't really mess my phone up because i do need it as just that a phone. thanks
  5. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

I don't think there has been a documented case of an unrecoverable problem yet. You almost have to try to brick the phone, to be able to do it. Even saying that, still be careful and follow a guide. Also, if you don't feel comfortable doing it, don't. It is no fun to have a device, where you are constantly worried about it working.