Problems: Data Connection and Screen

arise_shine

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I just had to get a "like new" warranty replacement for my Droid Razr after the headphone jack on my old one stopped working. So, I'm pretty sure I followed the protocol correctly for swapping out the data sim thingy (what's that thing called?) and the Micro SD card. Power down old phone, remove thinigies, insert thinigies into new phone, power up new phone. Right?

Anyway, so I reinstalled all my apps and stuff, and now I'm having a few new problems.

The most annoying is that my data connection dies often. Rebooting the phone restores it, but then within an hour or two, it goes away again. Going into and out of airplane mode doesn't fix it. But, sometimes when I try this anyway, and I come out of airplane mode, I get a little icon for a few seconds that looks like a Sim or SD card with a (!) thingy overlaid on it. This makes me wonder if my Sim got messed up somewhere along the line.

The other thing is, when I turn off my phone (not power down, just turn off display), sometimes the screen will randomly come back on of its own volition. Huh? Why would it do such a thing?

Oh, and according to Settings > About phone > System updates, my system software is up to date.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated. I don't wanna have to go through the warranty replacement again if I don't have to...

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Sounds like you did everything right for switching your device over. One thing though depending on who you believe or who you talk to at Verizon with the SIM card. I have had reps tell me that they don't like to transfer SIM cards from one device to another, they will give you a new one at the store for free.

So going into a store and telling them what you are experiencing and ask them for a new one might be a good way to go for you. As far as the screen turning on by itself, do you mean immediately after you hit the power button or do you mean a few seconds/minutes down the line?

Mine some times when I hit the button to turn the screen off it will go off and come right back on. I think that is just a problem with the loose power button they have in this phone. Seems like it is registering the press twice when it should only be once, so if that is what you are talking about then I would not worry too much.

If it is the other way where the phone will be just sitting there and the screen will come on by itself, that sounds like an APP is causing an issue. Boot into Safe Mode and see if you still have the problem. To do this power down the phone and then press the power button and both the volume up and down at the same time. Hold those until you see "Safe Mode" in the corner of the screen.

If you don't have the problem anymore once in safe mode you know that it is an APP messing you up and you can troubleshoot it from there. Hope any of this helps you.

OP
A

arise_shine

Reaction score
Okay, I'll try getting my local store to swap the SIM card for me.

Yeah, sometimes when I turn on the screen with the power button, it'll immediately turn back off, and that's annoying. But this is when I turn it off after I'm done using it, and then a minute later it'll turn on by itself. I'll turn it back off, but inevitably it'll come back on. I tried tweaking my Smart Actions, but that doesn't seem to have helped (I noticed that whenever it powered back on, one of the Smart Actions icons would show up in the notifications bar).

Whatever's going on, it's draining the heck out of the battery, and last night it went from 100% to dead after 6 hours of very little use.

I'm trying Safe Mode now, and so far it seems fine after about 10 minutes of the screen being off.

Any idea what app(s) might be the culprit(s)?

OP
A

arise_shine

Reaction score
Update: I tried Safe Mode again, and this time I had the problem of the display turning itself on again.

I dunno. I guess I gotta try a factory reset at this point, eh?

I'm getting awfully sick of this phone, but I think I'm stuck with it.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Sounds like it if you are having the problem in Safe Mode, because that takes away all user installed APPS that might be causing the problem. Factory reset does suck but if it fixes your problem then it will be worth it, this phone is great once you get it were you want it.