Problems connecting to 802.11b AP?

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm playing around with a Cisco Airnet AP unit in the house and my goal is to eventually get it set up as a repeater for the areas far away from the root unit. Like when I'm in the bedroom and want to be on the internet but the Linksys has a weak signal.

When I set it up as a root unit I can connect to it with the laptop but when I try with the droid, it cancels out the wifi as soon as I try and get on the internet. Anyone know if it can be a 802.11b rather than "g" issue? Shouldn't it still work? I know in hospitals I work in, some of their unit I can connect to but can't get to the internet or anything. It's a global issue with phones because the doctors complain that their iPhones and such won't connect either.

The whole thing may be a setting issue that I haven't found yet, so if you have any experience setting them up, I'm open to try any suggestions.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm really not sure man...maybe someone will know and help you a little better, but I've never seen this issue...

OP
Jim 777

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if it can be a 802.11b rather than "g" issue?
Should work according to tech specs:
DROID by Motorola - Android phone - Motorola USA
WIFI

802.11 b,g
Is it an open access point? Is there any security or MAC address filtering?
Thanks, I already figured out there was some settings that were conflicting or something. It's working now as a root access point. Yes, there is WEP 40 or 128 bit encryption security, not open.
I can connect and use it with the phone and the laptops.

Now I'm at the point where I can't figure out how to make it a wired or wireless repeater, instead of a separate access point that shows up on a list of available access points. I follow the instructions for the settings to the best of my newbie abilities (newbie to Cisco's terminology).

Once I cable the cable the house I'm at a point where I'll be "OK" with it, but would like to know how to set up as a repeater.