1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Problems changing framework

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by gcroberson, Jan 8, 2010.

1. gcroberson

gcroberson New Member

As of now these are the steps I am using.

1. I make changes to framework.zip
    2.I compress the folder.
    3. Change the .zip to .apk
    4.Put the apk on the sd card.
    5. Enter the following commands: Unmount the phone
    Su
    mount –o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    busybox cp –R /sdcard/framework-res.apk /system/framework
    Reboot
    Every time I do this the phone boots but cant get passed the "M" in the boot screen. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. bots

bots New Member

Try compressing the zip using winrar, and use the "store" option when compressing. Essentially, the file is NOT compressed, rather it is just sort of "packaged" inside of a zip file.

Alternatively you could do all of your editing within the original zip file, hence never unzipping it to begin with. Just open/edit a file inside of the zip, and save it inside of the zip.
  3. tdawg5480

tdawg5480 New Member

what exactly are you changing in framework?
    try this too
    1. from cmd prompt adb pull /system/framework/framework-res.apk framework-res.zip
    apk will be in android/tool folder
    2. extract the folder you wish to edit
    3.edit
    4.open framework-res.zip drag the edited folder back into zip window and allow to overwrite files
    5. rename framework-res.zip to framework-res.apk place on sdcard
    6. use sufbs from market it will allow you to mount as read write on the fly
    by pressing s button copy and paste using fbs and reboot
    7. errors usually suggest a error with something i.e saved as jpg and not as png etc

sufbs is worth the buck I guarantee it safest fastest bet in my book
  4. AdamZ

AdamZ Premium Member Premium Member

I was making changes to all of the system app images last night... I bet I have you answer...

Rename to .zip and extract the files... after you are finished, just copy the files you modded back into the still compressed original system app and overwrite the original images. (7 Zip works well, don't use WinZip)
    It never fails with this method... also, if you do .zip them up on your own, always use the Store setting so the files aren't compressed.

I hope this helps...happy modding!