Problems after putting case on phone

Ske1283

Reaction score
Sigh.
I was so excited that my husband found some really snazzy covers for my new (1-week old) Droid 2 Global.

So I put the first cover on the phone. Received a phone call, answered it and then when I pulled the phone away from my ear and held it down to disconnect the call, the display did NOT come back up so I could press "end call." Hm. Somehow managed to disconnect the call some other way after mild panic.

Made a phone call. Again, the display did not come back up when I moved the phone away and down to disconnect. Eventually the message "call ended" came up and the display reverted back to the lock screen instead of going to my home screen.

Took the cover off. Normal function.

Put a different cover on: same problem.

So...has anyone else had this problem? I mean, I know other people have put covers on their Droid 2. And I would like to use the covers my hubbie bought for me but I'm not sure what the problem is.

Any ideas?

thanks,
Sharon :icon_eek:
dancedroid

louy99

Reaction score
Is the cover covering the light sensor? I have one on my D2 and I have no problem.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
S

Ske1283

Reaction score
Is the cover covering the light sensor? I have one on my D2 and I have no problem.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App
Hi and thanks for the reply.

The cover/case doesn't impinge on the screen itself so I didn't think it was blocking the sensor. So my hubbie and I just did some testing.

I put a screen protector on the phone on Saturday afternoon and everything was working fine (I didn't really like the protector b/c it started to look "smeary" but thought a protector was a good idea). Started to have the issues with the display when I put the cover on.

So I took the screen protector OFF and put the case back on and now it works just fine.

I guess it was the combination of the screen protector with the case although I still don't understand the "why." Why was the sensor bothered by the case added over the screen protector but not with either by itself?

I'm happy it seems to be working and I have my cute (pink) case on my phone so maybe I just need to be happy with that.

dancedroid

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Your case/screen cover combo was likely hindering your proximity sensor in some way. If you get in bright sunlight and look at the black portion above your screen you can just barely make out four round spots on either side of the ear piece. One of them is just your led notification light. The one next to that is the light sensor and the two on the other side are your proximity sensors. They work in conjunction and if they are inhibited they can cause just this sort of problem. If it appears that the case is not covering any of these four circles, then its probably due to your screen protector. If this is the case, ditch the screen protector. Realistically the glass on the screen of your phone is so resilient that it doesn't need a screen protector anyway. I have personally attempted to scratch my screen with keys and bottle caps, pretty violently I might add, and its no worse for ware. So carrying it in a purse with keys and such will probably cause it no damage.

I will note however that it isn't impossible for a screen to get scratched, just highly improbable.

tappin and a talkin

OP
S

Ske1283

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for letting me know the location of the sensors.

It just confused me that the phone worked fine with the screen protector on w/o the case. And it worked with just the case w/o the screen protector, it was just the combination of the two that created a problem.

I ditched the screen protector b/c I didn't love it any way. The case is much cuter. :)

Sharon dancedroid

OP
S

Ske1283

Reaction score
Case

Hi!
My hubbie found the cases online at eBay, he searched eBay for cases for Droid 2.

He doesn't remember the brand, I'll see if I can find the receipt.

One is fuschia with a slight rubbery feel, one is fuschia with leopard spots and the other is all blinged out with pink heart jewels. :)

I LOVE my Droid.

Have a great night,
Sharon
dancedroid