Problems after ICS update concerning SD card

AndersBram

Reaction score
Hey all! New user to this forum. I haven't needed any help with my Droid Razr until now.

I finally got the ICS update (I'm from Denmark, so it took awhile), but checking everything I found out that I couldn't access any of my music or pictures. Since I have everything stores on my 32 gb micro SD card, I figured that that's where the problem might lie.

I searched the web for a possible solution but everyone who shared my problem didn't get a satisfactory answer.

What I have tried:

-Connected the phone via usb to my pc, took backup from what I wanted to save and deleted all the rest. After re-uploading my stuff unto the card nothing changed.
-I have rebooted the phone 4-6 times
-unmounted the card once, but that froze up my phone
-I looked at the date division and it didn't divide my data in music or photos but all was just in the "other" category of grey.

Can it have anything to do with my card not being compatible with ICS?? I can't seem to find any info on that sort of thing. Maybe it has something to do with the speed class? It is class 2. I have no experience with this sort of thing, so I have no idea.

I hope anyone can help me or at least shed some light on why this is happening :)

Cheers,
Anders

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Welcome to DF andersbram. Let's see if we can figure this out.

Your sd card is definitely compatible with ICS so that is not the problem. You said you copied the pics, music and other things you wanted to make sure you saved onto the pc? If that is the case, then probably the best way to get your card working again is to reformat it.

Make sure you have saved on your pc everything that you don't want to lose. You can reformat the sd card from the phone or from the pc.

From the phone, unplugged from pc, go to settings and storage. There are three kinds of storage: Phone storage, internal storage and SD CARD/MNT/SDCARD-EXT storage... in that order. Make sure you choose the last one listed... SD CARD/MNT/SDCARD-EXT. (Because if you do the others, you will permanently lose files that you probably don't want to lose.

In the SD CARD/MNT/SDCARD-EXT section, just below where it says Unmount SD card, there is the option to "Erase SD card." That is what you want to choose. The language has changed in ICS and it no longer says reformat SD card, but it definitely should reformat it to work in your phone.

If that doesn't work we can do it via pc. Keep me posted.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

OP
A

AndersBram

Reaction score
UPDATE:

I have no yet tried to format my SD card. Instead, I tried moving some music onto the internal storage of the phone. The phone doesn't respond at all when I open any of my music player apps. Also, it seems like the problem doesn't actually revolve around the SD card in particular! I can't adjust ring tones in settings for neither notifications or ring tones. The same goes for my alarm. It doesn't ring and I can't chose a preferred ring tone for it. It doesn't work on just vibrate either. I haven't heard a single sound come the phone since the update. I receive texts but calls are, as you might imagine, without a ring tone.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
This doesn't sound like an sd card problem. Could be a few things... files needed got moved or lost, speaker problems. A few questions to try to isolate the problem: When you try to play music, does your music player start and look like it should be playing? When you adjust sound does the on-screen meter indicate that it is being adjusted? If it appears that those things work then it could be your speaker. Can you hear music through a headset? If the music player or volume adjustment does nothing, then it sounds like missing or broken files. Did you disable any apps after ICS? Some disabled files might be needed. Did you do a factory data reset before or after installing ICS?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Actually, after reading through both posts, it appears that files that are needed got deleted or moved and need to be replaced. Doing a factory data reset may put the files back where they need to be.Were you ever rooted or have you always been stock?

OP
A

AndersBram

Reaction score
What happens when I open any of the music player apps is, they all freeze when loading the library and it never goes anywhere from there. However, when I move the sound buttons up and down it does in fact give an indication of the sound level. My headset does nothing either.

I have never rooted the phone before. But a bit of extra info that I forgot to mention is, that the phone froze up when updating. the screen said something like "starting up applications" but the after staying on that screen for hours the battery finally drained. When I charged it and turned it back on, everything seemed to have updated fine except of course for the issues I mention here.

but yeah, the factory reset seems inevitable now...

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Yes, that sounds like all your apps didn't finish properly initializing. Usually a reboot fixes that but you have already done that a few times. An FDR should fix it. Follow the first post in this thread to prepare and help with your fdr BUT, when restoring your apps, do it one at a time from play store. Use the MyBackup only for restoring your call logs, bookmarks, & playlists. Backup your apps & data but don't restore an app and data from your backup unless you really have to.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-help/219101-getting-most-success-upgrading-ics-gb.html

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Oh, and make sure have at least 50% charge before doing the fdr.

OP
A

AndersBram

Reaction score
I have now completed the factory reset. At first glance, it seems like I can now play music from the sd card. I can't check everything yet as I'm at my study hall and won't be home for a couple of hours, but if I'm not reporting back, then I believe my problems have been fixed :) Thank you for your help! -Anders

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
That is super. I bet you feel very relieved. Please let us know how successful that worked. It will also help other members who might have a similar problem. Thanks!