Problem with touch screen sensitivity

rosariorose9

Reaction score
Having a devil of a time with the touch sensitivity of the screen - it's too sensitive. When I use my finger to scroll, I inevitably activate the item I've touched. So, for example, if I try to scroll through my contacts list, instead of scrolling, the contact located on the area of the screen where I place my finger will open.

Any tips or tricks for dealing with this will be GREATLY appreciated!

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Practice, practice, practice. Keep in mind that a capacitive touch screen uses electrical impulses from your hand, and wont work well with fingernails or callous fingers. The tips of my fingers respond to the phone completely differently than the pads do.

Just practice it, you'll get it.

2010 ZR1

Reaction score
Try holding your finger in place for half a second before "scrolling" because it may see your finger for such a short time, that it thinks you are hitting the button on the fly.

OP
rosariorose9

rosariorose9

Reaction score
LtKen, thanks, I'll continue to practice, but after two weeks with the phone, I doubt that "practice will make perfect"... :)

2101ZR1, not sure I understand your tip. The instant I touch the screen it activates the item. Are you suggesting that I 'hover' above the screen before touching it - because I tried that, and it DID seem to improve the problem a bit.

2010 ZR1

Reaction score
2101ZR1, not sure I understand your tip. The instant I touch the screen it activates the item. Are you suggesting that I 'hover' above the screen before touching it - because I tried that, and it DID seem to improve the problem a bit.

Sort of, try using more of your finger to scroll through your list. I had the same problem the first time I tried my friend's Moto Droid. Either I would open an app or scroll through the menu way too fast. What works for me is using my thumb, usually the first quarter of it. I sometimes have to hold my thumb on the screen for a second then move it so that it doesn't open or click anything. Not sure how to explain it exactly without showing you.

OP
rosariorose9

rosariorose9

Reaction score
^^^

Thanks, I'll continue to give it a try...

2010 ZR1

Reaction score
Yea, each phone is different, it takes some getting used to. Experiment a little.

OP
rosariorose9

rosariorose9

Reaction score
Definitely getting much better at this. Thanks for the tips. :) While it's contra-intuitive (at least to me), a firmer, rather than lighter, touch while scrolling seems to avoid more accidental 'activations.' In any event, there is a definite knack to the process...

jesta192

Reaction score
Remember that a capacitive touch screen passes electricity through your finger to detect the touch position. This creates an electrical connection between your finger and the glass of the screen. The more area this connection has, the better the chance of a good connection, and the higher the quality of the signal. A firmer press puts more of your finger on the glass, which gives the screen a larger connection to the glass.

When you touch lightly, the connection is intermittent, similar to the battery cables on your car. If they don't make solid contact with the battery posts, they may or may not provide enough current to start the car.

kmo

Reaction score
Once unlocked on a surface why not just use the optical eye for scrolling to screens? That works just by passing your finger over it....

OP
rosariorose9

rosariorose9

Reaction score
^^^

Tried that earlier, but found it a little slow. At this point I'm pretty darn proficient with the scrolling. Using more of the 'heel' of the finger, rather than the tip, has done the trick for me...

OP
rosariorose9

rosariorose9

Reaction score
^^^

It is, thanks. Using the heel works quite well for me...