Problem With The Nexus Locating GPS

ryguy5254

Reaction score
Do you not know how GPS systems work?

Are you telling me that the Razor, which has been sitting in the same location for god knows how long, and probably has had its GPS turned on at least once, found the location faster than your phone?

Do you not know that you need at least 4 GPS satellites to find your location to give an accurate location?

And did you not know that if you had your GPS on, then turned your device off, move to a different location, then turn your device on again, that your GPS has to be found again?

And did you not know that if there is even a light cloud cover overhead, that it will take a longer time to look for the GPS signals?

You didn't? Well, the more you know.

::shooting star::

OP
samiusmc

samiusmc

Reaction score
Do you not know how GPS systems work?

Are you telling me that the Razor, which has been sitting in the same location for god knows how long, and probably has had its GPS turned on at least once, found the location faster than your phone?

Do you not know that you need at least 4 GPS satellites to find your location to give an accurate location?

And did you not know that if you had your GPS on, then turned your device off, move to a different location, then turn your device on again, that your GPS has to be found again?

And did you not know that if there is even a light cloud cover overhead, that it will take a longer time to look for the GPS signals?

You didn't? Well, the more you know.

::shooting star::

I know how it works. I compared the Razor to the Galaxy Nexus IN THE STORE, not mine. Both the Galaxy and Razor had been sitting in the exact, same location so your comments are nonsensical.

Wintrmte

Reaction score
The GPS in my phone is hit or miss. If I stand still, try to use navigation, it will sit for a couple of minutes at finding the GPS signal, then the phone reboots (on its own). When it comes back up, I go back into navigation and it finds the GPS after about 30 seconds.

As the day goes on, if I try to use navigation again after waiting 4 hours, the same pattern emerges (stuck at finding GPS signal, phone auto-reboots, etc.).

Strange problem indeed, I think it's something to do with the software or maybe just my phone since no one else seems to have this issue.

OP
samiusmc

samiusmc

Reaction score
The GPS in my phone is hit or miss. If I stand still, try to use navigation, it will sit for a couple of minutes at finding the GPS signal, then the phone reboots (on its own). When it comes back up, I go back into navigation and it finds the GPS after about 30 seconds.

As the day goes on, if I try to use navigation again after waiting 4 hours, the same pattern emerges (stuck at finding GPS signal, phone auto-reboots, etc.).

Strange problem indeed, I think it's something to do with the software or maybe just my phone since no one else seems to have this issue.

I don't think it's your phone. I have the issue and the display at the Verizon store had the same issue. It must be a software bug.

siuppdens

Reaction score
Hey guys, I came from my OG Droid and love my GNex. However, there's one issue I've noticed and don't know what's causing it. At first I thought it was my phone so I went to the Verizon store and tried to replicate the problem using their floor model and it too had the same problem. Here's the issue:

When I boot-up my phone, I go into navigation and enter a location. I get the message 'searching for GPS,' which is normal. What's not normal is that it seems to get stuck there or take up to five minutes to find the GPS. Like I said, the floor sample did the same thing.

To further diagnose the problem, I tried the same test on the Razor floor sample. It found the GPS right away.

There's either a problem with the GNex's antenna, an ICS bug or a bug in Google Maps.

Can you guys try this test on your phones and let me know if you see what I'm talking about. It would be much appreciated. Thanks.

i have the same identical issue you just described. i tested it already 6 times on a route where i had instant gps lock with my droid x. With my Galaxy Nexus it takes about 5 minutes. Gps is useless with these delays.

MrKleen

Reaction score
My Nexus has solid gps. But when I first got my Thunderbolt it had gps issues and it turned out to be the network not the phone.

kristinz84

Reaction score
My phone does the same thing, searching for GPS. I usually have to reboot the phone in order for it to pick up the signal again. This happened with my DroidX too.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
This seems to be a major issue. Check out this thread over at XDA Developers:

Weak gps signal - xda-developers
From what I've read, most people get a very quick GPS lock with the i515 (LTE model), however the thread you linked was obviously started by someone with the i9250 (GSM model) since the thread was started and replied to a few days before the i515 was released; plus all of those first replies were from folks on a GSM carrier, so I wouldn't call it a major issue with the i515 yet.

Long story short, there is a difference in the hardware of the two models. If you are having major GPS problems, return your phone for a hadware defect and replace it.

good luck

Last edited:
OP
samiusmc

samiusmc

Reaction score
From what I've read, most people get a very quick GPS lock with the i515 (LTE model), however the thread you linked was obviously started by someone with the i9250 (GSM model) since the thread was started and replied to a few days before the i515 was released; plus all of those first replies were from folks on a GSM carrier, so I wouldn't call it a major issue with the i515 yet.

Long story short, there is a difference in the hardware of the two models. If you are having major GPS problems, return your phone for a hadware defect and replace it.

good luck

The issue is also being reported on the LTE GNex so your reasoning is flawed.

[Q] Nexus won't see GPS satellites - xda-developers

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
In the link in post #25 above, yes, the OP there got it solved. And again, in all the threads I have read about this issue, there are more people reporting excellent GPS lock than not. The resolution was to do a battery pull for a few and then try again which fixed it for the OP in said thread. On a similar note, when I first got my A855, I had the same problem the first time I tried to use Navigation (within the first week), so I did a factory data reset which fixed it.

So again I respectfully suggest for those having this problem and cannot fix it otherwise to try and do a warranty replacement.

good luck

OP
samiusmc

samiusmc

Reaction score
Just Google "Galaxy Nexus GPS Problem" and you'll see how widespread the problem is.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
I googled it. Most of the hits are irrelevant. One thread had the guy getting a replacement. I suggest you do the same. And your name is just as widespread in those threads.

good luck