Problem with SMUpdater and recovery image.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by AbraCadaver, Feb 18, 2010.

1. AbraCadaver

AbraCadaver New Member

I've been having a problem with SMupdater 8. I rooted using it but when it goes to flash I get mtd: not writing bad block. then it asks me if i want to flash and goes into a loop. of asking me if i want to update my recovery image(honestly this kind a freaks me out) but since i can't go through this process i can't update a custom rom and/or go back to stock. any suggestions? I'm a little nervous about bricking my phone thanks in advanced

Update:
    I tried unstalling the SMUpdater and re-installing it ask for su permission again, i granted it along with always, it goes through the warning and basically just keeps looping through them.
  2. hayaku

hayaku New Member

its trying to do the "flash_image recovery recovery-0.99-3b.img" command but since you have a bad block in your recovery partition, you will have to run that manually till you get sprecovery loaded into the partition. otherwise, all you have is a rooted phone. it's not bricked or even close to it.
  3. AbraCadaver

AbraCadaver New Member

4. hayaku

hayaku New Member

at the current time, the smupdater program doesnt have the logic in it to figure out if you have sprecovery or not, so it just does it sequentially. and since that's step 2 or 3, it'll download and try to flash the recovery partition every time you run it.

if you have sprecovery in the recovery partition, then all you need to do is get the rom image you want in rom.tgz format and put that on the card. go into sprecovery, select install, select install rom from sd card. basically you are manually running the same commands/steps that smupdater is supposed to do automatically for you.