Problem With Sky Map

kevinkar

Reaction score
Make sure you check out Sky Map, Google Maps and that annoying keyboard issue (where a long press on the period key brings up the additional punctuation menu that USED TO stay up until you decided which punctuation you wanted to press but now the pop up menu disappears as soon as you release your thumb from the screen to select.)

I'm sure if you are on Froyo, things will work just fine!

PhotoMaster

Reaction score
The new X2 has a wonderful display and being it is running Froyo all of my GPS and compass apps are running perfectly. However any apps that saved / backed up to the SD card, is useless. All of my backups are toast, because Froyo can't read GB file formats. The only way to use my data, is to upgrade to GB. This really sucks out loud! How do people that roll back to Froyo get to use their data?? I'm desperate for a workable solution!

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

kevinkar

Reaction score
WHAT? There must be some other issue as I can't believe they'd change the way the data is stored between Froyo and Gingerbread. Can you plug the phone in to your PC and see if you can transfer data to at least back it up? Maybe then you can install the software developer's kit for the Froyo version and perhaps access the data that way?

By the way, I decided to check another app that relies on accelerometers and it force closes - Need For Speed Shift. Totally fails. I bought that game too!

Google for android developers kit and related stuff. I'm sure it's an easy thing to find/install and run. This might help you access your data.

jontayler

Reaction score
Google Sky Map, Droid X and GB problems

Hi,
I'm one of the developers of Google Sky Map. I wish I was able to bring you good news and tell you how to fix the problem. Unfortunately this is an issue with Gingerbread on the Droid X which breaks the compass API on which Sky Map relies. Sadly there is nothing we can do about it - we're entirely dependent on Motorola fixing it and Verizon pushing the fix out. We've looked at ways we might code around the issue in Sky Map and special case the Droid X, but sadly we've drawn a blank.

John

kevinkar

Reaction score
Sadly there is nothing we can do about it - we're entirely dependent on Motorola fixing it and Verizon pushing the fix out. We've looked at ways we might code around the issue in Sky Map and special case the Droid X, but sadly we've drawn a blank.
So it's not a simple matter of figuring out what they broke in the API and changing your code to accommodate, huh? That's too bad as it makes the two related apps (Sky Map and Maps) not entirely useless but really not worth the effort when using their full capabilities.

I recently found out Need For Speed Shift is also broken though I don't know if that's related. All I know is the game starts up but, as soon as I attempt to go race (this is the point at which the game probably accesses the accelerometers) it crashes.

Gingerbread is a big mistake as it really brings nothing that much better than what Froyo provided except for slightly better battery usage. Otherwise, I don't notice anything but annoying changes and breakage. That's sad.

Sorry someone else broke Sky Map. It WAS a great app.

PhotoMaster

Reaction score
I have Skeye, Space Junk, and a couple of Satelite programs, that are all seeing the same problem.

When I went to the DX2, it had Froyo, and every program was dead on! Now that they pushed GB, the programs are broken again.

R

RETG

So, GB strikes again. I just noticed this issue the other night. Thought it would be GB since it has screwed up everything else on the X.

Time to dump it and look for another platform and yes, I will look at that fruity one too.:icon_eek:

jlghertner

Reaction score
Motorola sucks and all the Verizon tech staff seemingly know little about how to operate the Droid X. It sucks when Google programs don't run on Google equipment, but it is worse when Verizon sells equipment that will not work on its own servers. It was finally acknowledged to me that the native email program will not work with verizon.net and since GB, K9 won't either.

when can i get my iPhone? I try to run two businesses through this piece of garbage. I have to pull the battery out regularly to make either the email, navigator, or even the phone to operate.

PhotoMaster

Reaction score
I'm moving away from Verizon as soon as my contract is up! Iphone is a good possibility since Google, Verizon and Motorola just keep blaming each other and not even trying to fix the problems!

cccmhhh

Reaction score
Im gone!

Im done with the V and all of their phones. First it was BB, junk phone--Storm-- then junk service. The same has happened with the X after the GB. It sucks now.....

PhotoMaster

Reaction score
I've been dealing with a Verizon supervisor and he has confirmed that Verizon's only commitment, is to making money off of the sheep! I refuse to be one of the Verizon sheep, so I'm trying to get out of my contract, move on to a different carrier and get away from Motorola's trash!

kevinkar

Reaction score
I don't blame Verizon for most of this since they are the cellular provider. They are just the network. Sure, they provide some bloatware for the phone (Vcast apps I never use and can't remove?) but I don't believe they have anything to do with Motoblur, Android, or Google.

In this case, the phone worked fine (specifically Google Sky Map) when I got the phone new and when Froyo was pushed to it. Then Gingerbread happened and the phone is now pretty crappy. That's not Verizon's fault. The OS is from Google/Android, and it's running on Motorola hardware with custom "blur" nonsense to get in the way of basic Android.

There are other phones by other hardware vendors with other custom GUIs out there that work on Verizon's network. You just have to figure out which one works best.

I, for one, think Verizon's network and call quality are pretty good. The Droid X is also good hardware. The problem is a lack of coordination between Android and Motorola.

Reaction score
Putting aside the arguments about whether you should be forced to have to do this. Why not simply root the phone and flash a froyo based rom on the unit. It will not be Gingerbread but at least it will work.

kevinkar

Reaction score
Putting aside the arguments about whether you should be forced to have to do this. Why not simply root the phone and flash a froyo based rom on the unit. It will not be Gingerbread but at least it will work.
That's on my list of things to do. Unfortunately, I don't yet have time to tackle this though I am getting ready for it by backing up games saves, contact information (it should be at the Verizon Backup Assistant location or my Gmail account but you never know) and some apps that are no longer available. Once I get that all squared away......