Problem with Root after Flash update

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Deano2423, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Deano2423

Deano2423 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was rooted with 2.2 using universal root. I just received the OTA for flash that allowed me to install the 10.1 player from the market. Anyway after doing so i noticed my setcpu was no longer working. When I clicked on it i was told I didn't have root access.

When i tried to use universal unroot it said I was already rooted and trying to root again (as well as unrooting and re-rooting) both did not work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Well Deano, when you got the OTA and accepted it and downloaded into your Droid you managed to remove the root. Now how you were talented enough to pull that off exactly, I don't know. I actually tried to do it and couldn't. Logically speaking SPRecovery should have blocked the update.

So, your fix is going to be to root your Droid again unless you want to stay stock.

Just to make sure that I'm right about all this see if your Super User Ninja is gone too. It probably is. If not, then you'll need to visit the Rescue Squad. But I'll bet it's gone.

3. log

log Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Univerisal Androot and EasyRoot only installs su/superuser.apk and does not touch the custom recovery, and unless you install it yourself, you will not have sprecovery. Unfortunately it only works on FRG01B, not FRG22D since it seems that FRG22D fixes the hotplug exploit used by both tools.

The FRG2DD doesn't delete anything root related -- but the problem is it resets permissions on the entire /system, including your su/superuser.apk which needs certain permissions to run.

So far, the only way that I'm aware of to root FRG22D is to flash a custom recovery and reinstall (or fix permissions) superuser.apk/su.

4. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    One click root apps are not reliable. Use link 3 in my sig

5. azpilot

azpilot Member

Ratings:
    +0
    if u didnt have clockwork or spr recovery installed, then the update gets applied. its only blocked whenone of the apps r installed

6. log

log Member

Ratings:
    +0
    They are very reliable for FRG01B (and previous versions) but the exploit they use are patched by FRG22D.

7. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    Ratings:
    +1
    Unfortunately none of the one step methods or easy root are reliable. I cannot count how many people using one of these methods do not have root access. These methods do not flash an alternate recovery so when you try to access recovery you get the stock recovery and not ClockworkMod or SPRecovery. Then when an update comes through, root is gone.

The only tried and true way of rooting is to follow the link in my signature and root the phone the "old fashioned way". Try to stay away from easy root or any of the one step methods they will frustrate you more than they are worth.

8. Phreaker47

Phreaker47 Member

Ratings:
    +20
    The custom recovery is your safety net. I agree... use the process involving RSDLite... you only need to once, and then you ALWAYS have recovery to fall back on no matter what happens, which includes full backup/restoring capability, as well as direct emergency access to all files/directories even if your OS somehow gets totally hosed (bootloops, etc)

Search tags for this page

s4 no longer rooted aafter update