Problem with Live Wallpapers

chanchalseo

Reaction score
Really great description! I think live wallpapers are not supported with Home++. So you must try Helix, hope it will help you.

PearlMikeJam

Reaction score
Has anyone resolved this? This seems to be related to the soft keyboard when it is displayed over the home screen wallpaper. This happens for me when I do a quick reply with Handcent or if I do a search from a home screen.

Update: I am using Helix and am experiencing this issue. I just switched to dxTop to see if that changes anything.

Well after just my second text of the day, my wallpaper crashed. This time I was using dxTop instead of Helix. I have not uninstalled Helix, so that is my next move. Anyone else resolve this? I did not have this issue with ese53. It just started with ese81.

PearlMikeJam

Reaction score
Well it happened on my first text after uninstalling Helix, so we can rule out that. I have seen that others have the same issue on a plain old stock Droid with no home replacement. It must be an issue with ese81.

If anyone has resolved, please post.

PearlMikeJam

Reaction score
T
PHP:
Mine has been running excellent BUT now since I updated Handcent (yesterday) I'm seeing this issue as well.

Happened 2x today......
It's a handent issue, I've emailed the developer and I also started a thread too.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...sms-live-wallpapers-dont-like-each-other.html

I saw that thread, but I am confused as to why this is a Handcent issue if it happens to me outside of Handcent. It happens to me just as often when I bring up search from my home screen. It seems like it would a keyboard thing, plus other boards have people reporting this problem using SMS Popup.

davoz28

Reaction score
Yep I've had this problem too. Also with hancent installed

tabraha

Reaction score
Ok this MAY solve the problem with live walls changing up. it has worked for me.

I got an email from the developer. Go into the settings of handcent and turn off blur background. It seems like the update will put a check mark in there and it causes the LWP to revert back to stock.

Give it a shot. It's been working for me.

"settings"->"pop up settings"->"blur background" UNCHECK

Nice save! Takes care of the issue perfectly for me.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
After reading this thread it appears there are a couple of issues going on. One is clearly related to the use of Handcent. Others seem to be experiencing the problem regardless of whether they have/use the app or not.

I suspect the underlying problem may have to do with memory management. It sounds (from the descriptions) that the live wallpaper may be swapped out by the o/s under certain conditions (i.e. when it needs the memory for other apps.)

For those able to control the o/s memory management, it might be worth trying to prevent the live wallpaper app from being swapped out to see if that affects the behavior. For others, you might try looking at the amount of free memory you have available. If you're significantly below the 30 mg line, you may want to consider whether live wallpaper is more important to you than some other apps you're running.

RookY2K

Reaction score
As jsh1120 stated, it is not only a Handcent issue. I have never had handcent but I still suffer from this issue.

I have noticed the same casual factor as PearlMikeJam. My live wallpapers only revert to non-lwp when I am using my soft keyboard over my home screen. So if I am doing a google search using the Google search bar, or if I am replying or sending a text using a Quick text pop-up.

It will not happen no matter what other apps I use, and I know there have to be more memory intensive apps then my soft keyboard. I have tried to switch soft keyboards, but that has not solved the problem. It also does not happen right away. Often, if I type quick enough, I can get away with using my soft keyboard over my home screen. I have timed the event, and it seems to consistently happen after around 15-20 seconds of typing.

I do not have a Task killer program, and this has happened on my last two phones with android 2.1. Both were Motorola Droids. One had the issue right out of the box. I have tried factory resets with no luck. Seems to be a bug revolving around the soft keyboard, but I am not tech savvy enough to know exactly what the problem is beyond that.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Go into settings and uncheck "blur background" thats what is causing the issue of wallpapers reverting back to regular ones.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

RookY2K

Reaction score
Go into settings and uncheck "blur background" thats what is causing the issue of wallpapers reverting back to regular ones.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

No. That seems to be what is causing the issue in some cases with some people who have Handcent. As I clearly stated in my post, I do not have Handcent, and never have.

savageseas

Reaction score
I'm jumping on this late but I have been irritated by the same issue. It happens no matter where i'm using the soft keyboard. FB update from widget, google search, handcent (with "blur popup" unchecked), etc. Such a great feature, I am very very sad to see the problem continuing.

~S

jkruer01

Reaction score
I think this may be a problem with the default live wallpapers that come with android and not handcent.

I had a Motorola Droid with handcent installed from the beginning. When 2.1 was released I upgraded to it and then downloaded and installed "Storm" live wallpaper. I never had any problems at all.

Then my phone crapped out last week and I got a new one sent to me. I downloaded and installed handcent but this time I used the stock "Magic Smoke" wallpaper. I started having problems with my wallpaper getting reset to the default droid wallpaper everytime I got a text message and responded using the quick reply pop-up box.

Last night, I downloaded and installed the free "Storm" wallpaper and I no longer have any problems. I just checked and my "Blur Background" check box is checked. So, unchecking the "Blur Background" check box may or may not work for some people, but I think it is only work around for a problem with the stock live wallpapers.

Can someone else try downloading and installing a live wallpaper other than the stock ones that come with Android? Unfortunately most of them cost money but there are a few that are free. Let me know if this works for you.

Thanks!
Jeremy