Problem with GPS/Google Maps

schiefee

Reaction score
I just got my new Eris but either the GPS or my Google Maps app is crap. It is totally inaccurate. When I try to get it to point out my location, it puts me across town. That doesn't do me a lot of good if I need directions from my current location. I took it back to Verizon and they told me it was a problem with the app and I would have to wait til it was upgraded. They said it was a common problem, but after a lot of searching the internet, I can't seem to find anyone else talking about it.

Has anyone else heard of this and does anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks!

warnermaj

Reaction score
Does this crap to me all the time. I have it look up a location but then when I have it nav for me it takes me 2-3 miles away from where it really is. If I look up the address it's no where near the place it takes me. F-Google Nav and I'll stick with my Garmin, at least that never let's me down.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
I use Google Maps every weekday to go to several places that I have never been before. I have used it several times to go across the county. I have had less issues than many of the stand alone gps units I have owned. On the occasions I have had issues, power off/on has always fixed it. There are many threads on improving gps fix. Do a search and try a few. Something is bound to work.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
If your GPS location is consistently off, and you have GPS enabled (check your settings) then more than likely you have a faulty handset. I would call Verizon about it, and let them know which store told you to wait. I used turn-by-turn direction often and have only seen this issue when I have my GPS disabled.

Bluehand

Reaction score
My wife & I both have Eris', the GPS works great on both.

Latitude is the part that is screwy for me. It'll sometimes show one of us miles away even though we are both @ home (and have GPS enabled.) Latitude must be flaky on auto-updates, or only updates if you select it. It's currently showing me in Omaha, even though I've been home for 2 days and had GPS running the entire time. Actually, I even used Navigation/turn by turn on the trip home?

Dallasguy7

Reaction score
Concerning Latitude,
I have noticed (for me) it appears to be a point in time update.
I can be with my wife and our phones show in different locations because it only refreshes to the last time the GPS refreshed for this app. If we both do a refresh at the same time then we show up together.
In addition to this, if the GPS can't see clearly, Latitude triangulates via cell towers for a general location.

On the other hand I used navigation the other day to locate my stepson on Latitude and direct me to him. It worked fine that day and took me right to his location. So it seems to me that Google needs to do some tweaking to get the apps talking correctly with the phone.