Problem with Google Map

BobB

Reaction score
I am having problems with Google Maps, and I'm not talking about the direction of the blue pointer being off (as was discussed in a previous post). I'm talking about Maps showing the blue pointer in the entire wrong location, sometimes miles off, and sometimes a few blocks off. When I press the My Location button, it makes no difference. Has anyone else had this same problem? With Menu, Settings, Location I have both Standalone GPS Services and Google Location Services checked.

Do you think this is possibly related to the pointer arrow being in the wrong direction problem?

I have already exchanged my Dinc2 (for an unrelated problem) and both the old one and the new one did/do exactly the same thing as far as indicating the wrong location, so it's a bit hard to believe it's a hardware issue (unless many Dinc2's have the same problem).

carmack

Reaction score
I have problems with mine doing the same thing. Sometimes it is accurate, sometimes it is way off. No idea how to correct it.

OP
B

BobB

Reaction score
I think I have a solution

After starting this thread, I was on another forum, and they suggested a free app called GPSfix. Figuring I had nothing to lose, I tried it, and it did seem to help some. The I tried something else. With my version of Android 2.2.1 if I go to Menu, Settings, Location there are three possible things that can be checked: VZW Location Services, Standalone GPS Services, and Google Location Services. Because I was using Google Maps, I always left Google Location Services checked (after all, they are both Google!) and played with the Standalone GPS Services. In reading the Google website (google.com/support/mobile) they talk about the Google Location Services not really being GPS, but using phone towers. And I did notice a light blue circle around the location pointer (even though the pointer was in the wrong location). Anyway, to make a long story short, if I use just Standalone GPS Services (no Google Location Services), the blue circle is gone, the location indicator is accurate, AND the location pointer is pointing in the correct direction (an issue previously reported with some HTC phones that I was also having)

One thing I'm not sure of, would this have worked (just Standalone GPS Services checked) had I not run GPSfix? I don't know. But I suggest trying it before installing GPSfix.

carmack

Reaction score
Thanks BobB-
your suggestion worked. I tried using just the standalone gps and it works great, at least for right now. I will check it once I go out later today and see if it is still accurate.
Thank you so much.
carmack

Sebastian

Reaction score
This is still something you need to call VZW about. They need to know this issue exists so it can be dealt with in the next update.