Problem with Bekit Kernel? Running a little hot

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by dta1984, May 31, 2010.

1. dta1984

dta1984 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys,

Took the plunge a couple nights ago and installed BB v 1.1, Bekit (sp?) 800mhz lv kernel with Glass theme. I installed everything using update.zip method using Sprecovery, along with doing the system wipe and clear cache before. Phone runs great!! Very snappy and blazing internet.

After reading some posts, it seems my phone runs a little hot. Using setcpu, typical idle temp is 25-30C (which appears normal). Internet usage for approx 30 min gets it up to 50 C which is my failsafe. This seems very high.

It seems others with the same setup are running cooler and rarely getting to the 50C that I see. I could understand if I was using the internet for hours upon end, but 30 min or so?

Will reinstalling the kernel help at all? If I need to reinstall, do I just remount the kernel on the SD card using update.zip and install with sprecovery again? Or, do I need to wipe anything?

Will trying a different kernel be any better? It looks like everyone loves this kernel and reports it to run very cool.

Thanks guys!

2. machineheadg2r

Ratings:
    +0
    Phones are very picky when it comes to kernels. Your best bet is to try a bunch to see what works best on your phone. The low voltage ones may not work out give normal voltage a try

3. breakingjessica

Ratings:
    +0
    I had similar issues with the low voltage kernels. I switched to Bekit's standard voltage 5 slot 1.0GHz, and it's been great so far.

4. dta1984

dta1984 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the responses! I will go try a few different ones and see what happens.

What is the best way to do this? Just install it as an update.zip and then install with sprecovery?

5. zerosouls

zerosouls Soulless Droid
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I use the ROM Manager app, but that's just me, otherwise pick your kernel and install the same way you did before.

If you don't mind losing data, wiping a few times is always good.

6. dta1984

dta1984 Member

Ratings:
    +0

Thanks! As far as data, I didn't mind losing it. A wipe seems to be a good re-assurance.

Emails and contacts re-sync, and apps are in the market (although for some reason mine weren't after installing the rom). The only pain for me (minor I know) is losing internet bookmarks. Is there a way to back these up. I have titanium backup on my phone also, and have backed up all apps. Is there a way to do bookmarks too?

7. zerosouls

zerosouls Soulless Droid
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0

I bookmark everything in the cloud using yahoo bookmarks and google bookmarks. That way no matter where I am I can access my bookmarks.

8. dta1984

dta1984 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ok just did a quick test.

Started at 24c and in 20 min failsafe kicked in at 51c.

During the time, just surfed droidforums using dolphin browser.

Will try a diff kernel and report back findings.

Does chevy's or p3 kernels work well with bb?

9. zerosouls

zerosouls Soulless Droid
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Little off topic, but you can use tapatalk (app) to browse the forums on droidforums, uses a lot less battery and cpu than the browser.

10. tktouch12

tktouch12 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i also run a bit hot. this is good information to know.
    so basically different phones will react differently to different kernels?
    and the normal voltage might run cooler than low voltage? (cuz that doesnt make a ton of sense)

11. GDO7

GDO7 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Are you plugged in to the charger by chance? This will heat things up a little quicker. Just a thought.

12. dta1984

dta1984 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just a little update on this.

I experimented with some different kernels. The p3 kernels seemed to run cooler, but I was still not satisfied. So..... I did a complete wipe data and cache and re-installed everything. I am now running BB, Nextheme, and P3 1000lv kernel. So far so good.

I did uninstall SetCPU, not sure if that made a difference. I do miss the feature to idle down the CPU during sleep and also the failsafe. I will do some more research and may re-install this.

For now, I am using temp monitor lite. I like that it displays the temp in the notification bar so I can always monitor. It monitors both battery and cpu temps, which generally are very close to each other. Idle, I get around 25C and the highest I have seen it spike is 45C. Generally it stays in the upper 30's when surfing the net.

Battery life seems to be just OK. I was more concerened with temps before, so I can't say if its better or worse. Took the phone off the charger around 11am. After some internet at youtube, I am down to 55% as of 3:35pm. Seems a little fast.

I am thinking if I can re-install setcpu and idle down during sleep it would improve. Not quite clear on how the processor operates stock while in sleep mode. I would think it would idle down on its own, but not sure.