problem unrooting

dboltz36

Reaction score
i keep getting an error when i try to apply the sd card update to unroot my droid. I rooted it (i think) and i want it unrooted. it goes about 25% of the way then it aborts, and im always getting the error /cache/recovery/command too..what do i do???

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
  1. Which directions are you following?
  2. What rom are you currently using?
  3. What method did you use to get rooted?
  4. Does your phone still boot up and function?
  5. Do you have the superuser app in your drawer? If yes, you have rooted.
  6. If you type su while using Terminal Emulator does it give you a # symbol? (download Android Terminal Emulator for free from the market) If yes, then you still have root access.
If something tries and fails to update it could be that the file you are using is corrupted and you may want to redownload it again. Providing the above answers will help folks to get you back to stock too.

OP
dboltz36

dboltz36

Reaction score
1. rootyourdroid.info
2. i have no idea how do i check that?
3. downloaded the update.zip file and drag into root of sd card then boot in recovery and hit apply:sdcard update
4. yes
5. yes
6. i dont have terminal emulator, but i think i used to

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
1. rootyourdroid.info
2. i have no idea how do i check that?
3. downloaded the update.zip file and drag into root of sd card then boot in recovery and hit apply:sdcard update
4. yes
5. yes
6. i dont have terminal emulator, but i think i used to

2 - settings/about phone. Did you apply a rom or only root the phone?

New question ...#7: Were you on stock 2.1 or stock 2.01 when you tried to use this method to root?

If you applied a rom such as Bugless Beast, Simply Stunning, Cyanogen, Smoked Glass, etc you'd probably know it.

4. Good, glad you currently have a functioning phone :)

6 - if you no longer have root access applying updates will fail because you don't have access to change certain files on the phone without root access. Look in the market for Android Terminal Emulator and try to su with it to see if you still have root access.

What is it you are trying to do? Just get back to stock? 3rd link in my signature will let you do that. Please let us know how you are making out.