Problem Reinstalling System Apps

antilogic

Reaction score
I've seen the thread on re-installing system apps. Very helpful, BUT, it doesn't work on anything other than bloatware. I deleted Messaging.apk and am having issues with text sending opening the text messages app - How can I reinstall these apks?

Using Root Explorer, I've tried copying messaging.apk, friendfeed.apk and other packages to /system/apps, mounting r/w, and hitting install. I get a "Application not installed" message.

Any ideas? Do I need to reflash my rom?

OP
A

antilogic

Reaction score
change the permissions back

Which permissions? I tried setting Messaging.apk and Messaging.odex permissions to rw-r--r-, as well as changing mount to both r/w and r/o.

My problem is not in the step of the reinstall that you change the permissions on the system app. I only get "Application not installed" messages each time I try and install them (after copying to /system/app).

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
ohh you did it on 2.2. im not sure about the .odex files when trying to mess with system apps. do they match the other system apps permissions?

im not sure why its not installing. are you clicking on the .apk to install?

OP
A

antilogic

Reaction score
ohh you did it on 2.2. im not sure about the .odex files when trying to mess with system apps. do they match the other system apps permissions?

im not sure why its not installing. are you clicking on the .apk to install?

Yea, I just click and choose install, and I tried matching the permissions to the other files in there. Yes, on 2.2 - I read a thread of safe to delete apps, but apparently the list was not 100% accurate. I can't open the text message application without it closing before I can do anything.

Note that I don't seem to have any issues reinstalling other bloatware, or at least MyVerizon.apk didn't have any issues (but it didn't have an odex).

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
yea im not too positive when it comes to reinstalling apps that have an odex file with them.. hopefully someone else can chime in on this..

OP
A

antilogic

Reaction score
FYI - Got this response on another forum.

Just move the .apk file to the system/app folder and then change the permissions to: User; read, rewrite - Group; read - and Others; read. DO NOT try to install it, just restart your phone and it should be working.

Seems to work on the first app i tried...

efexay

Reaction score
How do you do this part exactly? I've put the .apk back in the correct folder but can't seem to get it to work even after a reboot. Does this have to be done from the command line? If so, can you detail the code out? Thanks.

change the permissions to: User; read, rewrite - Group; read - and Others; read.

bigd73

Reaction score
How do you do this part exactly? I've put the .apk back in the correct folder but can't seem to get it to work even after a reboot. Does this have to be done from the command line? If so, can you detail the code out? Thanks.

change the permissions to: User; read, rewrite - Group; read - and Others; read.

You can do this very easily in an app like Root Explorer. Just browse to the file you want in Root Explorer, hit the Mount R/W button up top and then long press on the file and select permissions from the the pop-up menu. It'll give you a list of check boxes you can select or deselect.

A

anonydroid

I'm having the same problem on my Droid 2, the messaging app randomly just started closing as soon as it opens, i tried removing the app and putting it back in and changing permissions, but it still doesn't work.

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
where would the .odex files go?
the *.odex files go in the /system/app/ folder just like the other files. Make sure permissions are the same for all of them.

As mentioned before, after copying/setting permissions, you don't actually install them by clicking the .apk file for ANY app in /system/app/ folder. You have to reboot your phone and they will automatically be installed.
Clicking on an .apk file is only needed when installing 3rd party apps that go in the /data/app/ folder.....which is where everything you install from the market gets installed.