Problem! Please help!

11hitcombo

Reaction score
I just recently used ROM Manager to flash the latest CyanogenMod ROM and after it installed and my phone rebooted, it is stuck on the "X" boot screen. I pulled the battery and tried to boot into recovery mode and had no luck. I flashed to the CyanogenMod ROM once before with not issues, but this time I forgot to wipe caches and data. Would this be the issue? What do I do from here? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out. I'm a noob (as you can see) and freaked out prematurely.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum! I'm glad you got it all worked out. I would suggest, however, that you dump rom manager and stick with sprecovery and flash roms the old fashioned way.

luv2golf

Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum! I'm glad you got it all worked out. I would suggest, however, that you dump rom manager and stick with sprecovery and flash roms the old fashioned way.

Is there a way to go from RM to SPR without going back to stock and reroot. I have too many roms, themes and kernals to lose doing that.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint

Is there a way to go from RM to SPR without going back to stock and reroot. I have too many roms, themes and kernals to lose doing that.
ClockworkMOD Recovery is an alright recovery image, but the integration with ROM Manager can be a problem. So, go back to ROM Manager and scroll down to the bottom. See where it says "Flash Alternate Recovery Image" or something similar? That'll flash in SPRecovery. Flash it in a couple times to make sure it sticks and you should be good.

And what Cakes said is very true. At the moment ROM Manager doesn't like to play nicely with FroYo in any ROM on certain phones. Hopefully that will be fixed in the future, but until then SPRecovery and manually updating/modding your phone is the most reliable method.

luv2golf

Reaction score

ClockworkMOD Recovery is an alright recovery image, but the integration with ROM Manager can be a problem. So, go back to ROM Manager and scroll down to the bottom. See where it says "Flash Alternate Recovery Image" or something similar? That'll flash in SPRecovery. Flash it in a couple times to make sure it sticks and you should be good.

And what Cakes said is very true. At the moment ROM Manager doesn't like to play nicely with FroYo in any ROM on certain phones. Hopefully that will be fixed in the future, but until then SPRecovery and manually updating/modding your phone is the most reliable method.

I have tried that, it just takes me to the non-rooted recovery. I flashed it 3 times, same results. I flashed back and forth several times but each time I get the same results. There was a time where I was able to flash to SPR with an issue. But now it goes to non-root SPR.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
You'd keep the backups, you just couldn't use them. At present there's no way to put ClockworkMOD Recovery on your phone except with ROM Manager. If you're happy with your phone the way it is, though, you shouldn't need too many backups. A question -- did you put CM 6 RC-3 on that just dropped today? If not, you may have joined the cyan-side a few hours too early. :D

If you're comfortable putting SPRecovery on, you can do EVERYTHING you can do from within ROM Manager, and everything you can do with ClockworkMOD Recovery, you just have to do it manually. It's not that big of a deal to do it manually and there's a LOT less room for something to go haywire within ROM Manager and mess things up.

Edit: No, you won't lose root. In fact, using RSD Lite to put SPRecovery on your phone is the original way of rooting a stock 2.1 Droid.

Samiam564

Reaction score

I agree, I don't use RM to DL actual ROMs. All I really use RM for is to make backups and flash between SPR and CW when CW gets buggy.

If I find anything on RM that I want, I'll come here and DL it and just install it through recovery.

And welcome to your next big obsession! --->:motdroidhoriz:

luv2golf

Reaction score
. A question -- did you put CM 6 RC-3 on that just dropped today? If not, you may have joined the cyan-side a few hours too early. :D

No. I'm a happy sapphire 1.0 user. I came here because it's Koush's RM. I was hoping he would monitor this thread sometime and fix this ongoing problem. I really like RM but I might have to switch to using SPR because of the problems
icon9.gif
.Thanks for the help.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
My mistake. If you're having problems with ROM Manager, stop using it, but keep updating it when it says it has updates. Hopefully the issues will be fixed. Probably not right away since he's working on CyanogenMod at the moment, but with the RC-3 that just dropped they're probably coming close to a final release. Then come the tweaks, but those are less-intensive than the overall ROM.

IIRC, Koush doesn't come here very often, but I might be terribly mistaken.