Problem listening to forwarded VOIP messages

daddyo

Reaction score
I installed Ooma VOIP last week and tested it out on the email forwarding of messages feature.

Essentially it receives a call at home, records it, then encapsulates the message in an MP3 and sends it to my gmail account, which gets downloaded by my Droid. I can then hear all my messages while I'm away at work.

It worked the few times I tested it last week and once this week when I got a message.

But the most recent time I received a message with an MP3 attachment, the audio player on my Droid rejected the file saying it couldn't play that format. The email shows the attachment as being an MP3.

What gives? Is there a setting I need to change to force it to play ALL MP3s and not reject any, or is there a better sound app that will work in place of them default one on my Droid?

ezekiel2000

Reaction score
No idea about how to fix your specific problem, but why not use Google Voice to send you your voice messages...or even send calls to your home phone to your cell instead?

OP
D

daddyo

Reaction score
Wouldn't going the Google Voice route mean that I'd have to start giving out my Google Voice number instead of my home phone number I've used for years?

The issue isn't a service issue...it's an MP3 playing issue on my Droid.

ezekiel2000

Reaction score
True. I didn't think about that. I'm thinking of my cell phone, which people call the cell phone number but get routed to googlevoice for voicemail.

Why your .mp3 isn't playing...no idea. Do other mp3's (like songs) play? Can you play the offending .mp3 on your PC?

OP
D

daddyo

Reaction score
It played fine on my PC just now, so I'm thinking it is some issue with the Droid, the Gmail app, how the audio app handles MP3s, or something else I haven't thought of yet.

It played some other MP3 messages just fine before. It's just THIS one that seems to be an issue. The message the player gives me is this:

Sorry, the player does not support this type of audio file.

Silver Member
Reaction score
if you use google voice, and you have a service that allows you to forward your voicemail somewhere else (*72), you don't have to give your google voice number to anyone.

additionally, you can use the google voice app from the market, which will attempt to transcribe the message, in case you don't want to listen to it. great for phone numbers.

OP
D

daddyo

Reaction score
I Googled the error message and added the word DROID. Here's what I found:

I ran into this problem myself, and while I'm still not sure why it happened, I was able to solve the issue.

The files were .mp3s, and they appeared to be as such under codec properties, but still had issues as though they were encapsulated incorrectly (I think?). I had to re-encode them using VLC media player's "Convert/Save" feature. I chose the files individually and selected "Audio - MP3" as the desired output.

"Sorry, the player does not support this type of audio file" - Android Forums

Apparently it's a problem with the "lazy" encoding Ooma does on the file, which renders the file useless in certain MP3 players not built to deal with the "lazy" encoding.

Is there a better MP3 player I can use as my default player?