1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Problem Installing Repo

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by ladodger1717, Dec 18, 2010.

1. ladodger1717

ladodger1717 New Member

I have been learning Java for a little while now. I still have a long way to go, but I thought I would install Ubuntu on my machine for the first time since I heard it is better for programming than Windows. I have installed Eclipse and set it up with the Android SDK and also made the Hello World program. That was just to give you an idea of where I am at.

So after that I decided I would try to "get the source" and was using Android Open Source Project website. Everything was going fine until I had to install Repo. I did all the commands for the install and then moved on to "initializing a Repo client" and got this error in the terminal after running

"michael@michael-HP-TouchSmart-tx2-Notebook-PC:~/mydroid$ repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git"

No command 'repo' found, did you mean:
    Command 'rep' from package 'rep' (universe)
    Command 'repl' from package 'nmh' (universe)
    Command 'repl' from package 'mailutils-mh' (universe)
    repo: command not found

I have Googled this error and am either confused by the language that is being used or have been unsuccessful. So if you are going to give me a link, please explain in non-programmers language. Trying to teach myself this stuff and I run into problems occasionally that I just don't understand. Can someone please help me out with this?

I am sure everyone knows, but here is the link I used to "get source".....

Get Android Source Code | Android Open Source
  2. thinkmega

thinkmega New Member

Have you executed this command:
    curl http://android.git.kernel.org/repo > ~/bin/repo ?

(Question mark is mine.)
    If not, you should do this:
    mkdir ~/bin
    curl http://android.git.kernel.org/repo > ~/bin/repo
    chmod a+x ~/bin/repo

If yes, you want to make sure ~/bin is ON the PATH. Edit ~/.bashrc and
    add:
    PATH=${PATH}:~/bin
    to the bottom of the file.

You can either open a new terminal or source .bashrc to make the change effective.

Hope it helps.
  3. ladodger1717

ladodger1717 New Member

Thank you very much. The problem was that I needed ~/bin "ON" the PATH. I did what you recommended and it all went through correctly. Thanks again.
  4. ladodger1717

ladodger1717 New Member

I have another question.................

When I am building the code and get to the final step ($ Make) I get this message.......

Checking build tools versions...
    build/core/main.mk:76: ************************************************************
    build/core/main.mk:77: You are attempting to build on a 32-bit system.
    build/core/main.mk:78: Only 64-bit build environments are supported beyond froyo/2.2.
    build/core/main.mk:79: ************************************************************
    build/core/main.mk:80: *** stop. Stop.

I think it is pretty clear that any version beyond 2.2 will require 64-bit build environments. I am not sure if this means I need to do it on a 64 bit operating system or if I just need to download 64bit Java. If it is the Java, do I need both the 64 bit versions of the JRE and the JDK?

Right now I am running a 32-bit Ubuntu on a computer that also runs a 64-bit Windows 7. Not sure if that matters.
  5. neubanks89

neubanks89 New Member

You'll probably need to be on a 64-bit version of ubuntu. That's all I use now
  6. ladodger1717

ladodger1717 New Member

Alright, So I spent all last night switching over to a 64-bit version of Ubuntu and trying to get back to where I was. One thing I am curious about........The android open source project site says that Java 6 is not supported for getting the source. Does this still hold true? Hasn't it been over a year since Java 6 was released? Thanks.
  7. neubanks89

neubanks89 New Member

I use the open-jdk6. Development has been slowly pushing over to java 6 support. If you run into problems just change the 1./5's to 1./6 in the file it complains about
  8. ladodger1717

ladodger1717 New Member

Sounds good. Thanks for your help!dancedroid
  9. eagle1967

eagle1967 Developer Developer

That was old we have actually been building froyo on java 6 for quite a while.
    but gingerbread requires a 64 bit system as well as java 6 it will not build with java 5 any longer. may be a way to mod around this as we did with java 6 for froyo but i doubt it , if you look in the build at envsetup.sh for gingerbread youll see its setup to build with java 6.

hope this helps
  10. ladodger1717

ladodger1717 New Member

Thanks. that makes everything a little more clear. I am now using Java 6 and it seems to be working fine. Thank you.
  11. eagle1967

eagle1967 Developer Developer

Very welcome now if you get it to build all the way without removing the camera hit me up :)
  12. ladodger1717

ladodger1717 New Member

I'll be honest. I went through all the steps. Now I don't know where to go next. Like I had said earlier.... I am learning everything as I go. According to Get Android Source Code | Android Open Source ...... I finished building the code. Where do I go from here? Is there a guide to explain editing a ROM? Or can someone direct me to the next steps I need to take to understand this process?

Thanks again.
  13. ladodger1717

ladodger1717 New Member

Can anyone direct me towards the next step?
  14. cowsquad

cowsquad New Member

Good thread
Search tags for this page
how to install repo
install repo

installing repo

no command 'repo' found, did you mean: command 'rep' from pa

no command repo found

no command repo found did you mean
no command repo found ubuntu
no command repo found,