Problem installing an app from an APK file

bhodak

Reaction score
I have a problem of installing an app from an APK file on my Droid X. Before I continue let me say that the app I am trying to install a FREE app that I can't find ANYWHERE in the marketplace on my phone.

As I said, the application is free... it is actually Mobile Banking application by Firethorn... that for some reason I can't see in the Android Marketplace with my phone. It was installed on the phone when i just got it and then after the 2.3.15 OTA update the app disappeared and I haven't been able to find it since.

I have taken the APK file from my wife's Samsung Fascinate but the app won't install no matter what I try to do. I am using Root Explorer to install the app. From what I have found is that the app is copy protected so it can't be distributed even though it is a fully operational FREE application.

I need to figure out a workaround for this issue as my bank (a credit union) ONLY uses this application for online banking and it is an absolute pain in the butt not to have it as I am always on the go.

Thanks!

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
no links or downloads from the credit union's website?

OP
B

bhodak

Reaction score
unfortunately the credit union says to look for the app on the
Marketplace.

So this seems to be the only way.

OP
B

bhodak

Reaction score
I spent about an hour on there yesterday and could not figure out how to deltas it from the site. I appear not to be the only one though. anyone know how to bypass the copy protection of the file or have an unprotected file I can use?

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
anyone know how to bypass the copy protection of the file or have an unprotected file I can use?
Even though it is a free application - bypassing copyright protection is something that will not be discussed here on Droid Forums -

Last edited:

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I spent about an hour on there yesterday and could not figure out how to deltas it from the site. I appear not to be the only one though. anyone know how to bypass the copy protection of the file or have an unprotected file I can use?
Download barcode scanner from the market, open it, and scan the QR code on the right side of the androlib link above.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Update - I was easily able to navigate to the link provided by psychotic penguin - scan the QR Code - choose "open in browser" and download the application and install it directly from the Market -

...the issue you are having might be that in the data/app folder this app is stored as a .zip and not an .apk -

As bob stated, you will need "Bar Code Scanner" from the Market - here is the QR Code for your bank app :wink:

attachment.php

Last edited:
OP
B

bhodak

Reaction score
Sweet... awesome... thank you so much... been trying to get this thing done for months and was about to give up and go back to my blackberry!

Thank you again!