Problem Freeing Up Space In /system

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by phaze3131, Feb 25, 2010.

1. phaze3131

phaze3131 New Member

Hey guy I am having problems with space in my /system folder and I need some help :(

I am trying to patch a new framework-res.apk but it is 5mb and in Root Explorer it says my system is using 137.78MB and has free 2.59MB.

Does anyone know why or what could be here that is taking up so much room. I know I put a facebook.apk and pandora.apk in the /system/app folder because I wanted the skinned but many people have done this without trouble.

Thanks for the help.
  2. mjones1052

mjones1052 New Member

We were emailing, but yea, this is really weird. Normally Droid's should have 261 mb, at least that's what mine says. Try maybe pushing it with ADB as opposed to copying through root explorer?
  3. phaze3131

phaze3131 New Member

but why does root explorer show a wrong amount? Now I just wanna fix this problem before I go installing themes :( sucks.
  4. mmitchell816

mmitchell816 New Member

Sizes

If you go into a terminal on your phone and type df it will pull up all of the blocks and where they are mounted and how much space is left.

its like if you were to take a windows computer and a hdd with lots of small partitions and put the
    windows on partition a,
    programs on partition b,
    user data on partition c,
    and temp files on partition d.

even if the whole hdd has 20gigs free that doesn't mean that any of the partitions can use it. once your /system directory is full its full

the /system has a total of 140MB usable before any system files are placed on it
    /data has 260MB
    /cache has 94MB
    /config has 1.5MB

try moving some apps that aren't required in the /system/app directory into the /data/app directory
  5. SANhacker

SANhacker New Member

So we can look at /system /data /sdcard /... as partitions with limits to each.
    Thanks for the great explanation and analogy.
  6. mmitchell816

mmitchell816 New Member

Yep

Yes you can and like i said use the df command(need busybox installed) but yeah from any where just type df and enter and presto each "partition" as you could put it and the space used and space left.

And programs can go in either the /system/app or /data/app

different roms use different amounts of space like the droidmod 1.0 leaves me with ... last time i checked i think 30MB free on the system block

while Simpply Stunning v100(2.1android) left me with like 1-2MB on the system block after i got my apps on it
  7. SANhacker

SANhacker New Member

Ahh. So since /system/app and /data/app are in my path it doesn't matter where I put the app. I also see it is "block" not "partition" in the UNIX world.

I need to go grab my "UNIX for Dummies" book. I've worked on a lot of operating systems through the years, "cough" pre-DOS "cough", and had been trying to avoid UNIX. Thanks again.
  8. mmitchell816

mmitchell816 New Member

Lol

yeah i know what you mean.

Im no unix/linux expert but i do work on many linux servers every day (all command based, no GUI) and am starting to like it. and there are partitions in unix/linux. Like windows uses fat32,ntfs, etc linux uses ext2,ext3,etc

the reason i was saying blocks is because of how they are mounted on the phone as a mtdblock

unix/linux can be a lot of fun once you get used to it. Especially the terminals. lol i cant stand linux gui. idk why but i keep using windows for that reason! lol
  9. phaze3131

phaze3131 New Member

Ok but my system/data doesn't have any large files at all, the only 2 I added were pandora and facebook and they are not large. So what files should I move around I'm really scared to mess something up.

How can I breakdown what each folder size is then maybe i could narrow down the problem...

Just frustrating I don't get how I am the only one with this problem of only 2MB free I'm using BB 2.1

Edit: just did a new install of BB 2.1 v0.5 and system has 4.36MB free, but the framework-res.apk is over 5MB so is this the problem?

Editx2: removed live wallpapers and now I have 8.5MB free, but I tried MM again but still have stock notification images :( this sucks why me :( I gotta be doing something wrong but I keep following the directions.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  10. mmitchell816

mmitchell816 New Member

Sorry man

I sorry man the first thing i would do is boot in to sprecovery and wipe the system. maybe there are some stale files that aren't getting erased.

and if you have busybox installed you can go into any directory and type ls -al and you will get a print out of the size, permisions, last time edited, and file name.
  11. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

If you're willing to do a bit of work, here's a good way to figure out where your space is going. Requires busybox.

Open up Terminal Emulator and run this command:
    Code:
    busybox df -h
    This will give you a nice human-readable display of your filesystems and what is being used. Output will look something like this:

Code:
    Filesystem           Size   Used   Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/block/mtdblock4 140.4M 107.6M 32.8M     77%  /system
    /dev/block/mtdblock6 261.8M 235.3M 26.4M     90%  /data

If either your /system or /data partitions are getting full, you can figure out who the culprits are.

Code:
    busybox du -d 1 -h /system
    which will give you something like:
    Code:
    518.5K /system/etc
    684.5K /system/xbin
    5.9M   /system/tts
    8.1M   /system/media
    2.1M   /system/libskia
    5.9M   /system/bin
    8.5M   /system/framework
    2.1M   /system/usr
    39.6M  /system/lib
    26.9M  /system/app
    4.1M   /system/fonts
    2.0K   /system/lost+found
    104.6M /system

From there you can identify the "big spenders" and look at them more closely. Lets look at my system apps:

Code:
    busybox du -h /system/app/*
    Lots of files here, but there are only a couple that are > 1MB:
    Code:
    1.2M /system/app/CorpCal.apk
    2.1M /system/app/Dock.apk
    2.8M /system/app/Launcher.apk
    2.4M /system/app/QuickOffice.apk
    1.0M /system/app/Settings.apk
    3.1M /system/app/VoiceSearchWithKeyboard.apk

Aha! Why do I still have CorpCal.apk on here? That's 1.2MB right there. Hmm, QuickOffice. I wonder if that can run from /data/app? (I have no idea if it can, but I'm curious now)

You can do the same thing with the /data directory to see what apps are being hogs.

Be careful deleting stuff if you don't know what it does. You should always be able to go back in using adb shell from recovery, but be careful and keep backups of anything you change. Good luck and enjoy!
  12. mmitchell816

mmitchell816 New Member

yeah most any app that you can download from the market to my knowledge can be moved to /data/app

easy to try mv /system/app/appname.apk /data/app/

if the app nolonger works just move it back

mv /data/app/appname.apk /system/app/
  13. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

Apps that you download from the market don't install in /system/app, though. I guess if it's an app that comes with the Droid, but CAN be installed from the market can be moved, since assumedly it works fine from /data/app on other devices.
  14. PhontomF

PhontomF New Member

Se7enLC, following your instructions I found a directory in my data partition that is called /data/dalvik-cache and it contains 63megs. Is this just temp cache files I can delete to free up space or is it required? Would be nice to free up that much space for more apps. :)
  15. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

<sarcasm>Sure, go ahead and delete it!</sarcasm>

I have no idea if you can or not. It looks like it's just cache, and that directory has files named after each app. It's probably ok to delete them, but there's a chance that it keeps track of cache files in another place and deleting them could cause things to crash.

It's also possible (likely) that the cache will just be recreated again (possibly on reboot). If you don't have enough space to cache, it might run slowly or have other problems.

If you decide to delete it, let us know what happens (do they get regenerated, do things run slower, etc)
  16. PhontomF

PhontomF New Member

hahaha well I can confirm that you can't delete those files. I deleted one of them for an app I really dont care about and it FCed when I tried to run it. Oh Well would've been nice!!
  17. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Fort Huachuca, AZ (Originally from Pittsburgh, PA)
    Ok I am getting really frustrated. I was able to clear up to 45mb in system.

Back in the day I bought homerun battle and it stuck on authorizing. So I kept the program, paid my five bucks, and downloaded an illegal apk and installed homerun battle 1.2.2

I played a few weeks and built up my scores and equipment. Now I decided to try to revist the market download page. The version is now 1.2.5. However, it down loads correctly but the install fails and says insufficient space but not where.

All I want to do is install that app OVER my old version. The lowest amount of space I have anywhere is 45mb in system yet it won't install. The file is only 8mb and the unpacked is around 20mb so not sure where I don't have space.

I will pay someone 10 bucks via paypal to either help meget it installed or how to backup my achievements and equipment and just install it fresh then restore the data. I tried to do a fresh install of the app then use tit backup to just restore just data but then it force closes.
  18. 52brandon

52brandon New Member

greek over on alldroid came up with a way to move files to create space (I think he figured it out from his development on the sense rom, since you need more space for it apparently)

here's the link: AllDroid - View topic - Tutorial: Moving critical assets to the data partition

I don't suggest even looking if you're not very comfortable with adb shell, but it could be a solution for some of you...
  19. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

Apps install in /data, typically. The only apps in /system are the ones that came with the phone (or the ones that you manually install there as root).

1). Clean out some space in /data. Delete Google Earth for a bit, that's a quick way to clear out 20MB, and you can always add it back again.
    2). Use the methods I posted earlier to make sure you have a lot of free space (in /data). Probably 30-40MB at least.
    3). Locate the homerun battle data file in /data/data. Not sure what it's called, but you should be able to find it. Make a backup copy.
    3). Uninstall homerun battle (using the manage applications settings menu).
    4). Go into market and install it again. Because you already paid, it should show up and let you download it again, still.
    5). If it just sits on "downloading" and doesn't go, you can hold on that item in the notifications bar and select "cancel download" and try again.

The post above mine will NOT help you in this case. That deals with clearing up space on /system by moving files to /data. Homerun Battle should not be installing anything in /system, so you shouldn't need to do this.
  20. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Fort Huachuca, AZ (Originally from Pittsburgh, PA)
    1) I have only like 60% space used in /data

2) I think the problem with the data/data file is that the user information is saved on version 1.2.2 and the new version is 1.2.5.

Sigh, I wish I would have just been more patient when I bought it the first time.
Search tags for this page
0mb on system android
45mb free on samsung y phone but says not enough space to update programme

amount of free space in system 0kb

busybox amount of free space in /system 0kb
free up space system android
free up space with busybox
how to fee the space of lib. in system android
how to free space on system lib android
how to free system space android
how to free up system space in android
how to free up system space on android