Probably the dumbest question about apps, ever

Reaction score
So this may be dumb but I gotta ask this because I have no clue if this is even possible: Is it possible to have an app that will allow the droid to be used as a garage door opener? We have a 2 car garage but only one opener. I would buy that app if it were possible. If it's not possible then just smack me and send me on my way for asking such a moronic question. :icon_eek:

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
wow, i dono if it has that function built in, that nor anything like a tv remote... bummers

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, unless you have a web-enabled garage door opener, I dont believe the Droid has the hardware necessary to do this.

OP
wrightperspective
Reaction score
Wow...now if only somebody just made an app for that and could tell us which garage door systems work with it so the non-techies could use it, that would be great. :)

Droid is still the Best!

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Web enabled garage door opener? Seriously. I am ashamed of how lazy the human race has become.

where can I get one? ;)

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Web enabled garage door opener? Seriously. I am ashamed of how lazy the human race has become.

where can I get one? ;)

You say lazy, I say pathetically inventive :)

mpenda

Reaction score
You didn't specify that it had to be cost effective, but you can replace your opener with a Z-Wave enabled opener, then use Micasaverde's Vera controller for which there is a Droid app. From there you can open your door, set your heat or A/C, turn on/off lights, cameras, etc.
Of course, its far cheaper to buy a second control!!! :)

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Haha, if we're gonna take this to ridiculous ends, then the OP could always pay someone who's out of work to sit in his garage and press the button when he calls them...

Trip

Reaction score
lol...have you seen the comercial where the i-fool lady turns off the lights in her living room from the airport? You know, if you have to have an app that hooks your lights up to the internet then something is just wrong!!!

(They also don't show that you would need about 100.00 worth of hardware to make that work sitting in your livingroom :icon_eek:)

EVILOLIVE

Reaction score
Haha, if we're gonna take this to ridiculous ends, then the OP could always pay someone who's out of work to sit in his garage and press the button when he calls them...

lol, I vote for this option! But, only if my "garage door opener" resembles Scarlett Johansen, and I get to choose her uniform ;)

Se7enLC

Reaction score
It won't work with any "normal" garage door openers, as they would need a piece of hardware to operate. Some use a horn or lights, but most are just a simple RF transmitter like a car lock/unlock keyfob.

Here's something you could probably hack to work pretty well, though.

[video=youtube;1C-Bxifv2Pk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C-Bxifv2Pk]YouTube - BMW F800S Garage Door Opener www.vet.co.uk[/video]

averma1

Reaction score

Best comment ever LOLLLL

:rofl3:

M

Matth3w

I don't believe the Droid has the capability to send stuff RF.