private status bar

newschick

Reaction score
i have a droid 2. i dont mind icons on the status bar. but i want to stop my SMS or IMS from scrolling across the status bar when i recieve them. i dont like for ppl to be able to read my messages while they are looking at the phone. please help

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can't do this without it removing the notification altogethor. Is that fine?

Sent from my Droid

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well you could disable the notification for SMS in the messaging settings and the icon won't appear in the status bar. But then you won't know if you get a text or not. That is the closest you can get though.

Sent from my Droid

pool_shark

Reaction score
Handcent sms allows you to receive the notification of a new text message in the notification bar but will not display the message if you don't want it to show.

pigpen

Reaction score
Or you can install handscent, disable notifications in the stock app, and in handscent put it in privacy mode. The only words that scroll are the words " you have a new message " and the actual contents stay hidden til you pull down the icon and open the message. Handscent has a feature where your messages pop up on screen, you can disable all that too. You can set it up to run and look just like the stock app, but its definitely more secure. you can even password protect the messages as they are coming in with a pin# or pattern lock. I hide everything, everyone wants to see why its so much better than an iphone, and wants to see the customizations and tools, and i dont like people poking into my messages. Some of which are quite lude and suggestive.

OP
N

newschick

Reaction score
i will try that. will it had the IMs from yahoo chat as well or is there an app for that?

pigpen

Reaction score
No, I would think for messengers like yahoo, aim, facebook or gtalk you would have to manually remove those conversations like you would on a pc. And don't let the app save your password to autologin. Manually login yourself when you want to chat.

OP
N

newschick

Reaction score
is there a chat app i can download that will just tell me i have a message and not scroll the message

pigpen

Reaction score
I doubt it, but I don't chat on my phone. You're just gonna have to be more careful and remember to log out of the app when you're not actively chatting.

OP
N

newschick

Reaction score
ugh!! there has to be an app or something. how do i turn off the pop up on handcent?