Privacy Issues?? What is, "Data Collector" Program Shown In Applications?

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
SallyC, glad you're posting. Security shouold be high on everyone's lists, but as we know, it isn't. It's about getting the fastest best information available at a finger touch. This thread deserves a LIKE, if not for any other reason than security is important. ltcalex "Likes"
You may feel this thread deserves a "like" but I don't understand why. But to the point: Are the two files in question a security concern? I don't think so. If Motorola wanted to collected information they shouldn't be collecting I doubt they'd be stupid enough to call them what they have called them. There is a lot of information, not private or incriminating, that your cell phone provides not only to the carrier but also to the manufacturer every time you turn your phone on. This information/data is used to evaluate software, hardware, network operations and any number of other functions. It is used to improve the delivery to the customer of improved services and better hardware.

OP
M

mmcompute

Reaction score
I agree that Motorola or Verizon would be smart enough to rename the software something else besides, "Data Collector" if they were being clandestine about the whole thing but there is zero proof that these are from Motorola or Verizon. At least not yet. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who has them but that does not confirm that Moto or VZ installed them only that they exist in multiple places. Could these be malware from the Market? Possibly.

Can anyone with a rooted phone try to uninstall the apps? Can you? IF so, what happens?

milkshed27

Reaction score
I'm rooted and have frozen all data collection/provider apps using Titanium backup. I haven't notice any negative affects although it does cause the Android System to hang (this can be seen in running services after freezing the apps). A simple reboot fixes the issue however. I definitely wouldn't delete or uninstall these or any other system apps as it's always possible that it may cause problems going forward. Not to mention it will most probably cause problems when installing OTA updates.

nubia

Reaction score
I'm rooted also and thinking about freezing them. I'm just worried about any adverse affect it may have.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

OP
M

mmcompute

Reaction score
Freeze, test them, then reboot. If your phone hangs, unfreeze them.

OP
M

mmcompute

Reaction score
I don't think CyanogenMod is available for the Razr just yet (hope I am wrong) but I wonder if any CyanogenMod users in general (on any phone) have these programs running as well? Anyone?

imbue

Reaction score
No privacy anymore. I noticed the data collection a while ago and just laughed...."at least they're not hiding it" I said to me.

Just assume that if you have a smart phone...nothing you do is private. Want privacy? Unplug your internet, pay with cash, and never leave your home.

New LED TVs have cameras in them with facial recognition software, hook that up to the internet and BAM! You've just surrendered more privacy. Get an XBOX with Kinnect, more privacy gone. Most cities have cameras everywhere, more privacy gone. Did you know major department stores, including Target, track your purchases so they know what ads and coupons to send to your home? These are all facts and I can back them up if necessary. The list goes on.

One more time for those I lost along the way...THERE IS NO MORE PRIVACY.

Concerning yourself with a data collector is a futile effort and trying to squash it is a waste of time. Just because it might look like you've shut it off...doesn't mean it ain't collecting and sending.

Privacy is an illusion along with freedom.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

imbue

Reaction score
Oh I'd love to disagree Sally. Unfortunately this is the age we live in. It is all for your own good though ya know ;) . Keep us safe from all them terrorists.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

jrreich

Reaction score
def from motorola

I agree that Motorola or Verizon would be smart enough to rename the software something else besides, "Data Collector" if they were being clandestine about the whole thing but there is zero proof that these are from Motorola or Verizon. At least not yet. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who has them but that does not confirm that Moto or VZ installed them only that they exist in multiple places. Could these be malware from the Market? Possibly.

Can anyone with a rooted phone try to uninstall the apps? Can you? IF so, what happens?

First off I'm looking at a bionic.

But, it is def a Motorola service. I was looking at my running apps and Data Collector popped up in there. I clicked on it and it showed the following:
Services: BlurDataService

Processes: Data Collector Service
com.motorola.datacollector.service

It then disappeared from a running app and when it reappeared I wrote the info down. No clue what it does though. I was actually trying to find out why com.motorola.friendfeed is using GPS and taking up as much battery as Android OS (20%).