Privacy Concern?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by texasPI, Dec 10, 2009.

1. texasPI

texasPI New Member

Now noramlly my pointy tin hat is stuffed well back in my closet but I had to pull it out today.

Earlier today I received a text from 4info.com letting me know I had opted in to their service. Wtf? I have no idea what this is. I never signed up for anything. I can only surmise that these various apps we download that ask for all sorts of permissions has sold/given my cell number or whatever.

Thoughts?

Btw, I went into my VZW account and blocked all premium SMS as a precaution.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Dragoro

Dragoro New Member

hey I get those all the time. Its BS to get ya to click their link. Just ignore it and mark as spam.
  3. texasPI

texasPI New Member

Ah, ok. I'll just ignore them.
  4. Vitticeps

Vitticeps New Member

my guess would be a less sinister explanation...

someone tried signing up for the service and entered their phone number wrong and gave yours by mistake. if you haven't seen any previous messages from them and no charges on your bill then I'd say no harm/no foul.
  5. texasPI

texasPI New Member

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on things.
  6. KirstenM

KirstenM New Member

Hi, I work for 4INFO. Our services are standard rate text message alerts, meaning they don't cost anything more than what Verizon charges you to get and send text messages. Last week on 12/4 Verizon cut off access to our short code 44636 for their users, and then restored it today. You should have received the message discontinuing your services 12/4 and then you clearly got the message about them being restored today.

Since you already sent STOP ALL, you're all set and won't get more messages.

I'm not sure what MASTORMS was - based on the name I'm guessing it was a severe weather alert from a local newspaper, but I'm not sure on that. If you just got your phone, it could even be something that the prior owner signed up to get, as sometimes Verizon doesn't clear the subscriptions on recycled numbers.

Anyway, I just wanted to reassure you that you're all set. It is a standard rate service and you've done the right thing to totally opt out of it.
  7. KirstenM

KirstenM New Member

I forgot to say that you can also email support@4info.net and they can look up your number and tell you exactly when and how your phone number was opted-in to receive our services, if you're curious.
Search tags for this page

droid privacy concerns