PrinterShare Mobile Print - Amazon Free App of the Day

Discussion in 'Android Applications' started by REMilk, Sep 16, 2011.

1. REMilk

REMilk New Member

The PrinterShare Mobile Print (premium, unlocked version) is Amazon's Free App of the Day. This normally sells for $12.95.

I usually do not recommend apps, but this app I am highly enthused. This app works for both wireless printers and printers connected to a PC. My printer is an Epson Color Stylus 875, an older model, connected by USB cable to my Windows XP PC.
    After installing and testing this app, I highly recommend it.

I obtained the premium, unlocked version of PrinterShare Mobile Print as the Amazon "free" app of the day. All together it took me about 10 minutes to install all components and set up the account.
    :reddroid: Install PrinterShare Mobile Print from Amazon onto Droid 3
    :greendroid: Install 'PrinterShare for Windows' (32-bit) onto my PC running Windows XP (There is a 64-bit for 64-bit Windows 7) (PrinterShare® Print it anytime, anywhere! FREE Download software!)
    :reddroid: Select printer(s) within the 'PrinterShare for Windows'
    :greendroid: Sign-up for "free" PrinterShare account
    :reddroid: Install document rendering software onto Droid 3 (4 mb)

Now you are ready to go.

I printed a small photo and a small MS word (.doc) file on the Epson printer from the Droid 3 and it printed as expected. I also 'printed' a file to Adobe PDF and a .pdf file was created.

There is a slight delay from pressing 'Print' on the Droid 3 until it appears 'ready-to-print' (or auto-prints depending on your print set up on your PC). This delay is based on the size of the document. With the 3 docs, the longest delay was under 2 minutes and it was for the Adobe PDF, the 2 that went straight to print were under 1 minute.

My wife also downloaded and installed PrinterShare Mobile Print. We linked it to the same account on the PC and it worked flawlessly. She especially likes the ease in printing pictures from her Droid 3. dancedroid

This is a great app.
  2. darkmatter

darkmatter New Member

I was wondering what the difference would be between this and the motoprint that comes with the D3.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
  3. REMilk

REMilk New Member

Thank you! I still say it is a great app. However, thanks to darkmatter's question, I did some research. I should have done more research of this upfront.

First, I was under the misconception that MOTOPRINT only supported wireless printers. This is true, only if you cannot or will not install "MOTOPRINT host services" on your PC. Once I installed and configured, "MOTOPRINT host services" on the PC it worked well. However, it took me a while to figure out the necessary 'credentials' for this. Once installed and configured, I tested it and it worked well.

The only shortcoming I found with MOTOPRINT is that it is I could not see it as a selectable action from applications. It is available from "long press" then select print or alternatively from the MOTOPRINT App Context Menu. I would prefer that MOTOPRINT be a selectable item, like PRINTERSHARE or "Google Cloud Print" (more on Google Cloud Print below).

My research also introduced me printing from my Droid 3 using "Google Cloud Print." You must have the Chrome browser installed on your PC for this to work. I use Chrome almost exclusively so this was not a problem. Within the Chrome browser, I configured cloud print and my printer(s) were identified. I installed the app "Cloud Print" from the App Market. (I was surprised as there is not Google developed app for this yet.) With Chrome running, I tested the Cloud Print app with Google Cloud Print and it worked well. I understand that Chrome does not need to be running for the Google Cloud Print to work, however, I did not test this. I also did not test the condition when your PC is turned off to see if Google Cloud Print would hold the print job in a queue until the PC and printer were turned on.

Both PRINTER SHARE and "Cloud Print" add themselves to the pop-up selection of a file, where MOTOPRINT is a "long press" action.

I did not compare products to see the differences in supported file types.

All three, once configured worked well for me. I guess it comes down to personal choice.

Bob
  4. jtude

jtude New Member

Where do I get the rendering software for printershare? Is there a certain type that works the best with PrinterShare?

Thanks!:happy:
    jtude
Search tags for this page

amazon motoprint

difference between google cloud print and printershare mobil

print directly from droid x2 printershare