Primecast App Lets You Stream Amazon Prime to Your Chromecast

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
primecast-app.jpeg

Here's a cool app in the Google Play Store for folks wishing that Amazon would not be so stingy about offering up a way to stream Amazon Prime through your Chromecast. Even though Amazon wasn't willing to serve up this option, a third party developer has created a workaround. It's called Primecast and it basically attaches to Amazon's back-end services, and shows you a basic list of your purchased and rented movies and TV shows.

Here's a description from the Play Store, but it's pretty obvious what it does,

Primecast brings Amazon Instant Video content to your Chromecast device. Sign in with your Amazon account, discover new content in the Amazon Digital Video Store, and use your watchlist and library to start streaming to the big screen. Using Primecast is easy and secure – your device will talk directly to Amazon using an encrypted connection.

Please note that you can only stream videos via the WATCHLIST and LIBRARY tabs, so be sure to browse the store and add content to your watchlist or buy/rent videos to make them appear in your library.

This might not be a bad option for only $2.99. Sound off and let us know if this is useful to you.

Here's a link to the Google Play Store for Primecast: Primecast - Android Apps on Google Play

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I bought it and it works as advertised. I hope Amazon doesn't block it any time soon. I don't use prime much but thats mostly because I can't cast it to my TV easily.

realged13

Reaction score
I've been waiting for some like this. Here's to hoping more apps come out like this.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Would have been useful a couple months ago before I bought two Fire TVs, still nice to have the option though.

keklar

Reaction score
Looks like they already killed it... no longer on the store :(

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I bought it and it works as advertised. I hope Amazon doesn't block it any time soon. I don't use prime much but thats mostly because I can't cast it to my TV easily.
Johnomaz, can you save the APK for that using one of the app backup tools such as appmonster, you could store it for anyone who might want to install such as me, or you could pm me and I'll save it for future.

Oh forget it... Just realized it was a paid app.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I never got in on the Roku/Chromecast craze....say that fast 3 times! ..(besides, I much prefer waiting on the 2nd generation when new tech hits the market) Plus I didn't figure I needed it since my BluRay player offers most of the streaming services these devices do. That said I'm actually looking forward to the new Amazon Fire Stick.
nBY7cFB.jpg

I preordered it a couple weeks ago when they had a one day sale for Prime members (only19 bucks) and its due to ship December 17th just in time for Christmas. It's got some great features aside from your standard streaming. Fire TV Stick has “6x the processing power, 2x the memory, and 32x the storage of Roku Streaming Stick,” as well as “50% more processing power and 2x the memory of Chromecast.”
Gotta love technology!

S5 tap'n

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I ordered it for $19 too just to see what it's all about and if it will have access to all media files on our network.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I never got in on the Roku/Chromecast craze....say that fast 3 times! ..(besides, I much prefer waiting on the 2nd generation when new tech hits the market) Plus I didn't figure I needed it since my BluRay player offers most of the streaming services these devices do. That said I'm actually looking forward to the new Amazon Fire Stick.
nBY7cFB.jpg

I preordered it a couple weeks ago when they had a one day sale for Prime members (only19 bucks) and its due to ship December 17th just in time for Christmas. It's got some great features aside from your standard streaming. Fire TV Stick has “6x the processing power, 2x the memory, and 32x the storage of Roku Streaming Stick,” as well as “50% more processing power and 2x the memory of Chromecast.”
Gotta love technology!

S5 tap'n

I ordered a couple myself the morning of release, my ship date is still November 16th, will see if that holds. I am excited to see what they can do. I have 3 Chromecasts, and two Fire TVs, so one of these is bound for my mom who just became a Prime Member.

I love the CC for what it is, but it is limited. Now, the Fire TV is an amazing device, which gives me great hope for the stick being one as well. Only downside, no power through USB like the Chromecast.

Reactions: cr6

swc2001

Reaction score
I am really getting sick of companies who dictate how you use things that you pay them for!
EVER HEARD THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT!!!!
Amazon Dont cut off your nose to spite your face!!
Us customers DO VOTE with our Dollars!!