Preparing to buy a new Droid.

raidencmc

Reaction score
I hate my droid, it has simply slowed down and many apps don't work or take to much time it is not worth the trouble. At this point the phone is only good for email, browsing, and barely a phone call. It is a vortex and was the cheapest one in the store and I understand why.

With the exception of apps, what will I loose by getting a new phone? Gmail and backup assistant should cover my contacts, and my photos should be on the memory card.

Any other options besides getting a new phone?

My contract is not up until January. I have been scared of buying a new phone anywhere other than through verizon. But does anyone know of reputable places to get a new one? Any recommendations as to which one to buy?

Caesars

Reaction score
What are some things your phone MUST do, and what are some things you want it to do?

Googorola MAXX

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
raidencmc said:
I hate my droid, it has simply slowed down and many apps don't work or take to much time it is not worth the trouble. At this point the phone is only good for email, browsing, and barely a phone call. It is a vortex and was the cheapest one in the store and I understand why.

With the exception of apps, what will I loose by getting a new phone? Gmail and backup assistant should cover my contacts, and my photos should be on the memory card.

Any other options besides getting a new phone?

My contract is not up until January. I have been scared of buying a new phone anywhere other than through verizon. But does anyone know of reputable places to get a new one? Any recommendations as to which one to buy?

Welcome to the forums raidencmc! Aah yeah, I had a vortex for a very short while (I let my son try out my charge to see how he liked android). It definitely was not made to do what the newer androids can do now.

You can back up data, apps, settings, texts etc using MyBackup and SMS backup & Restore. Also play store will have a list of the apps that you ever installed under "My apps" then "All."

You may be able to get a little more life out of your vortex by doing a factory data reset... but backup everything before you do.

If you have unlimited data, you will want to buy your next phone full retail so you don't lose your unlimited. Some places to shop are swappa & android central (our sister site).

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

OP
R

raidencmc

Reaction score
I guess the problem is I am not sure. For the past 6 months it didn't have to do anything. Realistically I want to go to the app store and not have to worry about size of the app or weather or not I can get it or if it will slow things down. I have 2 gmail accounts that I need access to, the weather, facebook a bit.

I would like to use the verizon tv apps to control the tv, I am not an intense gamer but would like to play more. Send, receive, author edit excel and word documents. Maybe accept CC payments. I could think of a million things. I am self employed so I could imagine the possibilities.

sajgel

Reaction score
i recommend the Razr mazz because of the excellent battery life. I'm averaging 2 and half to 3 days on it. I currently am using the Live Extra for the Olympics.

OP
R

raidencmc

Reaction score
So I guess I have to tough it out. How do I speed this one up?

electricman58

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
"ROOTED" Droid Turbo
Newer phones are really so much faster, larger memory, and capable of doing so much more!
You can pretty much go on the play store and not even worry about how big the apps are anymore! Lots of storage space!
Make sure it has "GB" of storage not "MB" lol
My first smartphone was a Sanyo Zio, it was like 300mb of internal storage! Cute little phone , i liked it but it was so slow and "had to watch how big the apps were too! "
If price is an issue, like "Tis" said, you can get some deals out there!
I have the Droid Bionic, 16 GB internal and 32 GB external capable storage. Some are even using 64 GB SD cards. I absolutely love this phone!!! Highly Recommended! :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

Last edited:
OP
R

raidencmc

Reaction score
When you say go retail you mean that I will lose my unlimited data plan when I re sign for 2 years . Because I would have to have a new plan.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
raidencmc said:
When you say go retail you mean that I will lose my unlimited data plan when I re sign for 2 years . Because I would have to have a new plan.

You won't need a new plan because you already have one, you will be just switching phones on your existing plan. If you renew your contract then you will have to choose a tiered plan... which only matters if you have unlimited now (because you would lose your unlimited).

OP
R

raidencmc

Reaction score
I get what you are saying. I looked at my plan and it is unlimited. The most data I used was a bit shy of 800 mb and the smallest plan was 2 gb. So I think that I would never get near it but understand the value of keeping the unlimited plan. Thanks guys.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
You barely use any data but I bet when you get your new phone, you will be using lots more, lol! Hang onto your unlimited as long as you can. But changing phones should do nothing to your plan.

lawdude

Reaction score
I get what you are saying. I looked at my plan and it is unlimited. The most data I used was a bit shy of 800 mb and the smallest plan was 2 gb. So I think that I would never get near it but understand the value of keeping the unlimited plan. Thanks guys.

I just bought a Droid RAZR. I had 1 year but took a new contract. The only thing I need is a smart phone and 2G of data.. Most of the time I can use WiFi (in my motorhome in campgrounds) or when at home, I have a site through a cable co. The first month, I was parked at my sis's. While there I found my niece has a book reader with a hot spot. I connected thru that and got the bug. Then, I went to Verizon and got the hot spot set up for my RAZR. I used 2.001G in July so I had to pay a small amount more. This month (July 21 -date) I have used .5G so i am good to go.

OP
R

raidencmc

Reaction score
I understand about the data. I have been slowly adding as many wifi networks as possible in my travels. The phones are so expensive with out the contract. Anybody had any luck buying a refurbished one?