Preparing Droid 4 using leaked ICS for Official ICS

geoaddict

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I was hoping someone could provide some straightforward directions on what a user has to do in order to receive the OTA release of ICS.

Currently I have:
Model: Droid 4
System Version: 6.16.213.XT894 (leaked version)

Key Notes: this phone is rooted, has safe strap, and voodoo OTA on the phone.

Questions:
1. Can I unroot my phone, uninstall ICS, and return to stock Gingerbread?
2. If I cannot, is there anyway I can modify my phone so it can receive and successfully install the official ICS release?
3. Once I have the official ICS release, how would I reenable root access or at least reclaim superuser privledges?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
George

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
1. No, you cannot "uninstall" ICS nor can you flashback to Gingerbread. The security on the phone (locked bootloader and all) prevent you from flashing back to an older OS.

2. You can use the tools in the Droid 4 Hacking section to move from your version to version .217, or you can use the Fastboot ICS files to fastboot install the .217 version.

3. Root is so easy to gain....use the razrs_edge tool (ICS root tool) that was created by the same person who created moto_fail (Gingerbread root tool).

OP
G

geoaddict

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply tcrews. It sounds like the only way I can get the OTA version of ICS is to install it myself. Is that the case? Also, what would happen if I ever needed to send the phone back for repair? Is there anyway to get it back to stock (even if stock is the ICS OS)?

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Yep...just get up to version .217 and a factory reset would be all you need to do to send it in for warranty. If you root ICS then just fast boot ICS again on your phone to remove root and any other changes you may do to it while using it.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

OP
G

geoaddict

Reaction score
Thank you tcrews :). A long overdue thank you.