Predictive Text That is Absurd and Does Not Make Sense

Kymera

Reaction score
Have you ever tried to type "Pics," because it's a common word to use while texting, only to have it replaced upon pressing [space] with the word "Pica?" Do you know what Pica means?

Have you ever tried to type "Meg," because you have a friend named Meg, only to have it replaced by the word "Mega?"

Have you ever tried to type "Loved," which is a common and very real word, only to have it replaced by "Loves?" Loves and Loved are both real words, but they mean different things. Why substitute one for the other?

There are hundreds of examples of REAL words that you can type on the Droid, only to have them auto-replaced, upon pressing [space] by other words. Why would predictive text ever change a real, commonly used word, to something else? It just doesn't make sense.

I'm a big fan of predictive text. I think the Droid is on its way to greatness, but this is one feature that is completely annoying. I created this post so that we could all reply to it with words that shouldn't be replaced. Let's stand up for words like "Meg," "Loved," and "Pics," so that we can enjoy the benefit of predictive text and refine it so it's no longer an annoyance!

Also, Pica is an eating disorder. Apparently the predictive text developers believe that eating disorders are a more common topic of conversation during text messaging than "Pics." I bet they're very skinny developers.

Please reply and post words that you believe should not be replaced!

Thanks everyone!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Have you ever tried to type "Pics," because it's a common word to use while texting, only to have it replaced upon pressing [space] with the word "Pica?" Do you know what Pica means?

Have you ever tried to type "Meg," because you have a friend named Meg, only to have it replaced by the word "Mega?"

Have you ever tried to type "Loved," which is a common and very real word, only to have it replaced by "Loves?" Loves and Loved are both real words, but they mean different things. Why substitute one for the other?

There are hundreds of examples of REAL words that you can type on the Droid, only to have them auto-replaced, upon pressing [space] by other words. Why would predictive text ever change a real, commonly used word, to something else? It just doesn't make sense.

I'm a big fan of predictive text. I think the Droid is on its way to greatness, but this is one feature that is completely annoying. I created this post so that we could all reply to it with words that shouldn't be replaced. Let's stand up for words like "Meg," "Loved," and "Pics," so that we can enjoy the benefit of predictive text and refine it so it's no longer an annoyance!

Also, Pica is an eating disorder. Apparently the predictive text developers believe that eating disorders are a more common topic of conversation during text messaging than "Pics." I bet they're very skinny developers.

Please reply and post words that you believe should not be replaced!

Thanks everyone!

apps it doesn't like. Mine wants to change it to appspot. I don't even know what that means. App singular is OK it's the plural that's a problem.

But to be fair I had the same problem, different words with the Blackberry Storm too. I don't think there is much to do but complain about it in a forum to be honest.

Cyrus6001

Reaction score
Kymera,
The auto correct is limited by the words loaded in the default dictionary. So instead of getting upset at ur phone, simply add the words you use frequently to the dictionary.
All you have to do is after you type the worg "meg", highlight it and select "add to dictionary". Then next time it wont tell your friend she has an eating disorder:)

OyVOid

Reaction score
"Also, Pica is an eating disorder. Apparently the predictive text developers believe that eating disorders are a more common topic of conversation during text messaging than "Pics." I bet they're very skinny developers."

HA! I find it funny how modern times alters word usage. Although, yes pica is an insane eating disorder where those affected eat dirt, hair, fiber and such. In the print and publishing world, a pica is a typographic unit of measurement.

1 pica is equal to 12 points units of measure.

KevinJ

Reaction score
HA! I find it funny how modern times alters word usage. Although, yes pica is an insane eating disorder where those affected eat dirt, hair, fiber and such. In the print and publishing world, a pica is a typographic unit of measurement.

I guess I don't get around much. As soon as I saw the word "Pica" I immediately thought of high school typing class.

But as to predictive text wierdness, a short time ago I was typing "working" and it suggested "worgth". I didn't even knot that was a word. :)

M

Matth3w

Could be worse, my first gen iPhone was HORRIBLE. If I told someone or mentioned the word p!ssy, it would change it to the female organ.

Lemurion

Reaction score
Personally, I hate Predictive Text with a fiery burning passion. I have a full keyboard and that's fine. All T9 and its ilk do is try to force the wrong word on people.

Zac7

Reaction score
I love when I text a buddy and say what's up bro? and it changes it to brown so my friends all think I came up with a new thing to call them. So annoying.

OyVOid

Reaction score

I guess I don't get around much. As soon as I saw the word "Pica" I immediately thought of high school typing class.

But as to predictive text wierdness, a short time ago I was typing "working" and it suggested "worgth". I didn't even knot that was a word. :)

You are absolutely right. When I am emailing it replaces my words to something else. I try to read what I typed before hitting that Send button. The best way to get over this little hump is too keep adding your words into the dictionary as someone posted earlier.

Happy Droid-ing!

thorn11166

Reaction score
i say RAWR alot... it gets changed to RAWT... so i tell them to go rawt lol or it changes it to CRAWFORD....wtf

mjs31

Reaction score
Geesh...take some time to add words to your custom dictionary. This is the first thing I do when I get a phone. I add about 30 - 40 words and it takes about 2 minutes.

KevinJ

Reaction score
I have noticed with the Droid that the system seems to automatically add the names from your contact list. I was typing something the other day and one of the suggestions was the last name of one of my contacts. And I know I didn't add it to the dictionary.

Not complaining though. I think it's cool.

OpalCat

Reaction score
One of my old phones used to change "woohoo" to "zonino"... so my friends and I started typing (and saying IRL) "Zonino!" when we were excited about something. I was tempted to name my youngest cat Zonino, but named him Ronon instead (after the Stargate: Atlantis character).

AKValle26

Reaction score
Here's a better way to remedy this, rather than adding words individually to the dictionary
Whenever you type a word that the dictionary wants to auto-correct, just tap-and-hold what you typed (it's at the left end of the suggestion bar) and it will add it to the dictionary for later use