Pre-root Andros file management

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by sadlsor, Jan 30, 2011.

1. sadlsor

sadlsor New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Droid X, sys 2.3.340, Android ver 2.2.1 and I'm lost in the tall weeds at the edge of Root Lake, where it's deep and dark...

Installed Andros to be able to move files / view files on the SD card. USB Debugging is Enabled / Checked. On my laptop I have several downloads I intend to copy over: z4root, DroidXBootstrap.apk, and ultimately Titanium Backup and RSDlite.

I don't see the /mnt/sdcard directory on my Windows 7 laptop - Computer -> Removable Disk (F). It almost seems that I'm looking at the Droid internal memory, but I copied the z4root file over and it shows in the root directory of what I thought to be the 16gb SD card, along with .android_secure, adobe, Android, DCIM, etc., which are all directories I would have thought are on the device. F: shows 14.3 free of 14.8GB... sure sounds like the SD card to me!

I've been reading the root threads, and researching for a week, thinking I would eventually root the X, and it seems easy enough with all the videos and posts. Didn't think I'd have this issue! Criminy!

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]Guess I won't be rooting tonight.... *sigh*

And just to rub salt in it, I can't even include the screen shots from the latptop, that I saved to smugmug. Maybe they're too large?

Y'know, Momma told me there would be days like this.

Attached Files:

2. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I have rooted Droid so my experience may be different. However, if I recall correctly, when I rooted my Droid (a year ago) I did not copy my apps or associated data. I was not not concerned about losing texts, or call logs . My contacts and email were stored on my Google/Gmail account so I figured that since I was wiping data and cache then I would just rebuild.

Once rooted, Titanium Pro or MyBackUp pro are two excellent apps that will backup and restore your settings, apps, and data.
    Hope this is helpful.

Mike

3. sadlsor

sadlsor New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry I wasn't more clear. My concern is not being able to find the files on the SD card while the DX was attached to the laptop via USB.

Apparently I can't see the contents of the SD card while it's being viewed on the laptop - nothing shows in Astro, ES File Explorer, nor in the stock Files file manager. This consistency is encouraging... "so, it must be a design feature!"

4. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I did a poor job f reading. The three apps you mention are looking at your SD card and do not have root access. The mnt/sdcard file is in the OS and not the SD. I'm rooted and am able to view and access the mnt folder with Root Explorer. When you attach your phone to your computer I believe, like the apps you listed, it only displays the SD card not the OS.

Mike

Search tags for this page

i need a root for andross

z4root usb debugging must be enabled