Pre-Order Xoom at Best Buy for $1,199

Reaction score
What the hell...

for 1200$, you can get an i7 laptop, with 8 gigs of memory, an upgraded video card, for that!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Haha! The old bait-n-switch. They are generating buzz and free advertising with this outrageous price. Real price drops $200-$300 and people suddenly feel like they are getting a bargain.

If the Thunderbolt can retail for $749, this can certainly be in the ballpark of $800-$900. Again, I think retail prices are being artificially inflated by VZW to get people to sign a contract for a discounted price.

Have to admit, I saw a demo of Honeycomb and it looks pretty sweet. My next home/personal laptop will be a tablet, but not until they get a bit more powerful and come with an optional detachable keyboard.

forum8417

Reaction score
im bummed out i really wanted this. motorola is really screwing this up big time. i was hoping for a 700 price tag. my 23 inch dell all in one was 500.00 less than this.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
They had a misprint with the evo also saying it ran at 100,000 ghz ....is a thread somewhere.

aRsTwiX

Reaction score
Sigh... 2 words PLACE HOLDER. Stop FREAKING OUT.

And to those that still complain about $800...

It's pretty obvious that it's going to be more than an iPad. The new generation tablets are not going to be the same price as an iPad. So those of you saying "I can just buy an iPad" go ahead but you'll be getting nothing in comparison in specs.

Second, (forgot who said this from another thread) when you made the switch from your desktop to a laptop and payed more no one cried. You didn't say why am I paying more for a laptop? Simple, because it's convenient.

Last, when you go to customize a laptop on for instance, HP, the upgrade from a single core to a dual core is around $200-$250. So when you go from an iPad... then add a second core core with a bigger screen, Android 3.0, a rear camera, and the same weight... you should expect to pay a lot more.

Just my .02

Right but you are giving far too much credit to the average customer. Most people don't look at specs and say "ohh dual core I need this now" People look at brand name and price. For most of us here in the forum that is not the case, we are aware of the latest specs for the most part so we want the biggest and best. A LOT of people are going to be turned off by an $800 price tag for a tablet device. Yes they are convenient but they cannot do nearly as much as a laptop or pc. Look at the galaxy tab, that thing has had to lower it's price 3 times now and rumors are it's still not selling real well and the return rate is ridiculous. I am not expecting an iPad price but I was expecting a price that would make it comparable. Maybe 650 or so.

Well, the Wi-fi only will probably be $700. And I'm not saying most look at specs. I'm saying most want the latest and greatest and don't expect to pay a higher price. If people don't want to pay $700-800 for a dual core tablet they simply shouldn't be looking at a dual-core tablet.

Samsung has came out saying the return rate that was reported was wrong and based on it selling 2 million in three months (more demand than supply), I believe it.

You do know the 32 GB Wifi + 3G iPad is $730, right? I'd say $800 is comparable to that.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
:shocked::shocked::shocked:
I guess I won't be getting this. :censored: :rating00:

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
remember BestBuy is marking up the list price. Don't get discouraged yet

aRsTwiX

Reaction score
Sadly, the Samsung 10.1 looks much better except the screens don't look as cool XD

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Best Buy almost always sells Verizon phones and accessories at higher no contract prices than Verizon does. Verizon's price will be lower, although not likely less than $1000 if the Best Buy price is correct. Even if the price is correct, somebody will pay it. Not me, or most people, but some will. I'm betting that the price is wrong, as Motorola can't be that stupid, can they?

I can get a dual core i7 for several hundred less. The dual core i7 notebook processors do not run very hot. The max power of the notebook 1.46 GHz i7 is only 18 W.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The dual core i7 notebook processors do not run very hot.

Which is why Newegg sells them with a free cooling pad.

Come put your hand on my laptop with a QM-720 for 10 seconds and tell me it doesn't run hot. I dare you.

DroidMastar2

Reaction score
Sigh... 2 words PLACE HOLDER. Stop FREAKING OUT.

And to those that still complain about $800...

It's pretty obvious that it's going to be more than an iPad. The new generation tablets are not going to be the same price as an iPad. So those of you saying "I can just buy an iPad" go ahead but you'll be getting nothing in comparison in specs.

Second, (forgot who said this from another thread) when you made the switch from your desktop to a laptop and payed more no one cried. You didn't say why am I paying more for a laptop? Simple, because it's convenient.

Last, when you go to customize a laptop on for instance, HP, the upgrade from a single core to a dual core is around $200-$250. So when you go from an iPad... then add a second core core with a bigger screen, Android 3.0, a rear camera, and the same weight... you should expect to pay a lot more.

Just my .02

Right but you are giving far too much credit to the average customer. Most people don't look at specs and say "ohh dual core I need this now" People look at brand name and price. For most of us here in the forum that is not the case, we are aware of the latest specs for the most part so we want the biggest and best. A LOT of people are going to be turned off by an $800 price tag for a tablet device. Yes they are convenient but they cannot do nearly as much as a laptop or pc. Look at the galaxy tab, that thing has had to lower it's price 3 times now and rumors are it's still not selling real well and the return rate is ridiculous. I am not expecting an iPad price but I was expecting a price that would make it comparable. Maybe 650 or so.

How is $650 comparable to an Ipad price... That IS the 32GB wifi-only Ipad price after taxes. After thinking about it $800 is really a feasible price for this tablet. I mean it's supposedly a better piece of technology right? Has better specs and more features. Then why not charge more? What can you do on your laptop that you wouldn't be able to do on this tablet? Most people don't even have dual core desktops. The galaxy tablet is a fail because it's not worth the money. The specs on that thing are crappy and its something that is overly hyped (especially on this forum). It seemed rushed and late at the same time.

Reaction score
Well after thinking about it... I think an extra 400$ for a "Place Holder" is ridiculous and I dont think that is what this is.

Imagine your parents found out that you smoked weed, so you told them that you didnt smoke weed, that you in fact, did heroin. After letting them believe this for a little while, you then tell them you were just kidding and the weed then does not sound that bad....

Silly analogy, but I feel like this is what Motorola is going for. Hoping that by jacking up this price, when it goes back down to 799$, people will hopefully think "Oh well, i guess 800$ isnt THAT bad."

Kinda offends me actually....

TheOldFart

Reaction score
The dual core i7 notebook processors do not run very hot.

Which is why Newegg sells them with a free cooling pad.

Come put your hand on my laptop with a QM-720 for 10 seconds and tell me it doesn't run hot. I dare you.

That's a big difference from the one that I mentioned. The 720 is 45 W vs 18 W. In addition, it is a quad core vs a dual core, but I'm sure that someone as vastly intelligent as you already knew that off the top of your head.