1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Pre-Order For the Motorola RAZR Developer Edition Handset now Live

Discussion in 'Android News' started by cereal killer, Jan 30, 2012.

1. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Before anyone gets too excited, the pre-order is only for the European/GSM model at this time. In regards to other regions, Moto said "We are continuing to explore the possibility of offering additional devices with unlockable bootloaders in the future, in other markets across the globe, as allowed by our carrier and regulatory obligations." Translation: don't expect to see a Verizon version unless Big Read gives the ok. This has been a source of contention among many Motorola fans and while this news is exciting for our friends across the pond, we would advise our readers to remain cautiously optimistic about seeing a CDMA/LTE version here in the states. Do you think Big Red will allow another developer phone on their network and would you be willing to pony up the coin to purchase this handset off contract?

Via: Motodev / Moto Shop
  2. pc747

pc747 Administrator Staff Member

not this one in particular at this point lets see what quad core looks like and offer that one unlocked.
  3. Captmilk

Captmilk New Member

4. bogginblazer

bogginblazer New Member

Its cool that they did this to appease us but no warranty is a useless phone. If it comes from the factory with defects you can't I return it. we already have an unlocked bootloader with a phone with a warranty. Cool but too little too late

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
  5. tjk629

tjk629 New Member

Aren't most dev phones like this GSM anyways? I remember Palm doing something like this, and the phones they gave were GSM and not CDMA.
  6. TexasRules777

TexasRules777 New Member

Wonder if moto will keep their promise and give us a way to unlock our verizon razrs? It's really the only reason I bought another Motorola product because we were promised " unlocked bootloaders buy end 2011". Well its 2012 and the only option I see is to buy a new razr with exactly the same specs but no warranty and unlocked. What about us original customers who bought the first razr? I feel cheated...
  7. bogginblazer

bogginblazer New Member

It is unlocked if it was not we cold not root or put roms on.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
  8. thaDroidz

thaDroidz New Member

Unlock bootloader = nandroids

Locked = no nandroid backups
    Is this correct?
    Will this unlocked bootloader help "us" to unlock the "Verizon models"?

Sorry df app wont acknowledge spacing .....

posted tomorrow using the space time continuum app on my D1...
  9. TexasRules777

TexasRules777 New Member

Yes my razr is rooted and yes I'm running an eclipse rom right now but I'm 100% sure my boot loader is locked hence I can't over clock it or have full control unless I buy a cdma developer model for full price. That's my problem with moto.
  10. cereal killer

I believe the bootloader SHIPPED locked, meaning it can NEVER be unlocked. Don't hold me to that, but I'm fairly certain that is the case with the RAZR
  11. TexasRules777

TexasRules777 New Member

Sadly I know that's probably the case. Got screwed out with the same phone with a monster battery.. now this.
  12. Raverrevolution

Raverrevolution New Member

Karma will eventually bite you guys in the ass Moto for thinking of your greedy pockets and not letting your customers do as much as they can with their phones. I understand you're a business and need to make money, but where is the hurt in pleasing all the fans of your products? Shouldn't they be about making a quality robust product and good customer service above all?

Last Moto phone I ever buy.
  13. loki993

loki993 New Member

Its funny how V$ only seems to have a problem with unlocked or unlockable bootloaders when it comes to Moto phones. However its totally cool with them on HTC, Samsung, Etc..Etc

An unsubsidized phone with no warranty or carrier is hardly what I would call appeasement. A very poor attempt at it? Yes, but a long way from what it should be.
  14. loki993

loki993 New Member

It would be nice to think that, but honestly we don't even cause a blip on their radar. Which makes this whole bootloader thing even more preposterous.
  15. cereal killer

Unfortunately I have to disagree with this. Their policy of leaving the device locked really has no real impact on them at all. Nobody really cares. HTC, Nokia, LG all suffered dismal Q4 numbers. The problem lies not in bootloaders but lack of a focused product. Samsung understands it with their Galaxy S line-up .

Just my opinion on this whole thing
  16. prime

prime Kernel Developer Premium Member Developer

Motorola could unlock the bootloader through means of a signed update.

A locked bootloader prevents one from writing to the boot partition, no kernel updates can be made to a device with a locked bootloader...nandroid backups can be had along with 2nd init ROMs.
  17. equake

equake Member

I am not sure that is the case. HTC phones were locked also but they had a tool that would unlock those phones. Moto like all the other handset makers are trying to walk a fine line between allowing consumers to muck around with their phones and still maintain a warranty policy. Unlike the PC business where the retailer and/or vendor supports a commodity product the handset makers still consider their h/w very proprietary. I do not necessary agree with this perspective but it is what it is.
  18. TexasRules777

TexasRules777 New Member

He
    That's what makes this announcement so frustrating! The razr is a sexy beast of a phone and moto had a chance to hit another home run with it but releasing a full price non warranty phone just adds to the fu from moto
  19. Dave12308

Dave12308 New Member

I want a simple answer from Motorola, and as a faithful customer feel I am entitled to one. My question is very simple.

If it is okay for HTC, LG, Samsung, and any OTHER Android device manufacturer to offer unlocked bootloader capability on VZW, then what on earth makes Motorola so damn different? They act like VZW is going to do something bad to them if they offer a bootloader unlock.
  20. Raverrevolution

Raverrevolution New Member

Of course we are a small blip in the big picture for Moto. They don't give two craps about us. They just want to appeal to the rest buying their phones, but it's the principle of it all. Why?? What's hurting them by unlocking these phone's bootloaders?

It's all BS and trust me, somehow somewhere the reasoning just leads back to them thinking greed and ways to make more money. Sure we are a small insignificant blip, but there's no reasoning behind what they do other than them just being spiteful at this point if it's somehow not to nickel and dime us like Verizon does.