Pre-load maps for navigation off the grid

jamsesh

Reaction score
So I was up in the mountains a couple weeks ago (Arnold/Murphy/Big Trees area) and had absolutely zero phone reception. No biggie, that's expected up there. the droid's gps was still tracking me, but it ran out map to show me where I was, and couldn't load any more.

After a little searching and no luck, I'm trying to find a way to download maps to the phone so that I can still use navigation with the pre-loaded maps if I get GPS reception. That way you wouldn't have to rely on being near a 1x or 3G connection. Anyone else try this or hear of it being (or not being) possible?

dro

Reaction score
Should be a hack for it if you are in to that sort of thing, otherwise I believe we are getting Google Earth with 2.1 which should allow offline map usage.

rjsurfer

Reaction score
So I was up in the mountains a couple weeks ago (Arnold/Murphy/Big Trees area) and had absolutely zero phone reception. No biggie, that's expected up there. the droid's gps was still tracking me, but it ran out map to show me where I was, and couldn't load any more.

After a little searching and no luck, I'm trying to find a way to download maps to the phone so that I can still use navigation with the pre-loaded maps if I get GPS reception. That way you wouldn't have to rely on being near a 1x or 3G connection. Anyone else try this or hear of it being (or not being) possible?

There are some third party apps out there that do just what you want, but they are expensive, from what I remember $30 +.

You get updated maps which are loaded on the phone and your laptop so you can create custom routes and download them to your phone, something that Google maps can't.

CoPilot is one...

Ron W.

dro

Reaction score
Should be a hack for it if you are in to that sort of thing, otherwise I believe we are getting Google Earth with 2.1 which should allow offline map usage.

why's everything have to be a hack?

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ap...ap-calibration-solution-android-platform.html

My apologies, perhaps I would know everything like yourself if I spent enough time here to make 2,600 posts. Again, I sincerely apologize. Obviously I need to start making 45 posts a day before I should attempt to help anyone. Perhaps I would learn the correct terminology at that point.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

why's everything have to be a hack?

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ap...ap-calibration-solution-android-platform.html

My apologies, perhaps I would know everything like yourself if I spent enough time here to make 2,600 posts. Again, I sincerely apologize. Obviously I need to start making 45 posts a day before I should attempt to help anyone. Perhaps I would learn the correct terminology at that point.

Wow...and you are the one asking for help.....nice

dro

Reaction score

Wow...and you are the one asking for help.....nice

Where did I ask for help? Too busy bolstering your post count to read what you are replying to?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Where did I ask for help? Too busy bolstering your post count to read what you are replying to?

Sorry I misdirected that....You know how busy us multi-taskers are....

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
After a little searching and no luck, I'm trying to find a way to download maps to the phone so that I can still use navigation with the pre-loaded maps if I get GPS reception.
You really need to find another GPS app. You can't preload maps for Google Maps or Nav.

Google Earth downloads data as well.

Jeremy556

Reaction score
Viamici is to overlay your position on an image of a scale map.

What the OP wants is offline use of Google Maps/Navigation for use when outside of a data connection.

I carry an old Garmin with me with road and topo maps loaded for my outback expeditions where there is no phone service.

SGTiger

Reaction score
I carry an old Garmin with me with road and topo maps loaded for my outback expeditions where there is no phone service.

For both offline road maps and topo maps you can use your Droid instead of the Garmin. Just use oruxmaps on the Droid. Use Trekbuddy Atlas Creator to prepare the maps ahead of time for offline use. TAC allows a wide range of map sources including Google Maps and also excellent topo maps from Terraserver.

Jeremy556

Reaction score

For both offline road maps and topo maps you can use your Droid instead of the Garmin. Just use oruxmaps on the Droid. Use Trekbuddy Atlas Creator to prepare the maps ahead of time for offline use. TAC allows a wide range of map sources including Google Maps and also excellent topo maps from Terraserver.
Awesome - downloading now.