Practical uses for Goggles?

LMac8806

Reaction score
I'm wondering if what practical uses there are for Goggles? I am blown away by the app itself and what it does, but most of the time I can do a Google search quicker than I could take the picture and let it analyze. Plus, most things Goggles recognizes are items with text, so you have something to base your Google search on if you aren't sure what you're looking at. The only thing I've come up with that makes Goggles worth the time (other than the "wow" factor) is scanning business cards and having them entered into my contacts. Anything you've come up with that I justh haven't thought of yet?

pjo1966

Reaction score
I'm wondering if what practical uses there are for Goggles? I am blown away by the app itself and what it does, but most of the time I can do a Google search quicker than I could take the picture and let it analyze. Plus, most things Goggles recognizes are items with text, so you have something to base your Google search on if you aren't sure what you're looking at. The only thing I've come up with that makes Goggles worth the time (other than the "wow" factor) is scanning business cards and having them entered into my contacts. Anything you've come up with that I justh haven't thought of yet?

There's a piece of art I liked, but didn't know the artist's name. I scanned it with Goggles and the first entry was a Wiki for the artist.

Riddick

Reaction score
Yeah I think taking pictures of objects where you wouldn't have the faintest idea of what terms to use for searching is the best usage of the technology. I don't have Goggles installed though, I find it useless, though the technology is nice and has lots of potential.

rjax

Reaction score
I was at the library and wanted to see what would happen if I, um, Goggled the book cover. It came up with a pretty nice summary page for the book.

SpykeZ

Reaction score

There's a piece of art I liked, but didn't know the artist's name. I scanned it with Goggles and the first entry was a Wiki for the artist.

This, don't forget goggles is still "farely" new compared to whats out there. They'll eventually start getting the amount of stuff that will help.

I would say it's more "fun" than it is useful tho

Caseychaos

Reaction score
I was buying a can of OFF the other day at the grocery store and thought the price to be high. I scanned the barcode to see how it was priced in other places (Amazon) in order to know if the grocery store was gouging in comparison to Walmart down the street. They weren't. Just expensive stuff. No need to hit Walmart following that. I was glad to have it on me.

Jcook54

Reaction score
When I open the app and scan my surroudings it lists what's around. I still have to play with it some more to "get" it but it has found a restaurant that I didn't know was there. This function is nothing great but I didn't know it would do that.

lyam

Reaction score
Scan a business card. Goggles will OCR the text and even create a Contact entry with the contents.

drowe

Reaction score
For over a year I followed a pickup down the highway to and from work every day. He had a logo his rear window that I couldn't begin to describe. Goggles would have been perfect to identify it. I finally stumbled upon it a year or so after I first saw it and it was for a clothing company.

OP
L

LMac8806

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses so far. The art was something I had heard mentioned but forgot about. As for the book cover, that's what I was talking about where it would be quicker to just do a Google search and find the same information.

I was thinking of a neat use the other day...for any horticulturalists or gardeners out there, take a picture of a bush or flower and have Goggles tell you what it is. This would be a while down the road of course (Goggles really doesn't identify even common objects just yet), but not out of the realm of possibilities I don't think.

pjo1966

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses so far. The art was something I had heard mentioned but forgot about. As for the book cover, that's what I was talking about where it would be quicker to just do a Google search and find the same information.

I was thinking of a neat use the other day...for any horticulturalists or gardeners out there, take a picture of a bush or flower and have Goggles tell you what it is. This would be a while down the road of course (Goggles really doesn't identify even common objects just yet), but not out of the realm of possibilities I don't think.

That would be a great use, and should be doable eventually.

jimnutt

Reaction score

Yeah, it doesn't quite work yet. I've tried it with some plants whilst out in the woods, didn't do too well.