Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Do Punch amps still dramatically underate their box numbers compared to real world test sheets? My old Punches gave real world results that almost quadrupled what the box said and each sheet had the serial number to show it was genuine to each amp. They ran very cool (real world) at 4ohms and I never had one shut off at 2 ohms either but I was also running thumb sized solid copper as both hot and ground wire and a 1.5 fared (sp?) capacitor also that I believe helped things run more efficiently. I had almost $100 (90s dollars) in just power wire.
Anyway I just wonder if Rockford Fosgate is as good as it was last century. I had 2 2 channel amps set to single channel each and 1 4 channel set to single channel 2 ohms for the Bazookas and 2 channel 2 ohms for the tweeters and wonder if that's still kinda the norm for ludicrous decibel levels without a whole bunch of amplifiers.
I can't for the life of me remember the brand name of the CD player but it was a company out of California that made them in house , came with a brass platten and ,an unheard of at the time, 2 volt output to the rca cables for each channel. I remember thinking it sounded like a flea market name but it was incredibly quiet in between tracks even at high volume and I had no equalizer because between the cards in the amps and bass/treble controls in the head unit I didn't need to clean up anything. Maybe you know the brand name from way back then?

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4
I haven't dealt with Fosgate in 10 years or so. Back in the day yes 90% of their amps performed better than what was stated on the box.

The problem was it was a marketing gimmick. They intentionally put lower numbers on the boxes as a selling point. The whole concept being you can finally get more than you paid for. They were still great products for your mid level enthusiasts. By the time Fosgate really came into their own with the big Punch series and the power series I was already hooked into Audiobahn and Autotek.

We sold a TON of the power series 12's with the DEI 1100D amps. They were one of the first amps that could TRULY handle a 1ohm load and not melt down.

Note 4Tified

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I haven't dealt with Fosgate in 10 years or so. Back in the day yes 90% of their amps performed better than what was stated on the box.

The problem was it was a marketing gimmick. They intentionally put lower numbers on the boxes as a selling point. The whole concept being you can finally get more than you paid for. They were still great products for your mid level enthusiasts. By the time Fosgate really came into their own with the big Punch series and the power series I was already hooked into Audiobahn and Autotek.

We sold a TON of the power series 12's with the DEI 1100D amps. They were one of the first amps that could TRULY handle a 1ohm load and not melt down.

Note 4Tified
I was looking for box rated power since the speakers I was using didn't need a gazillion watts to work right and not burn out, but could handle more than a few dozen watts at the same time.
What I got was mind blowing when I found out what I could get away with and still be stable.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Here's the end product. A Memphis 10 dvc with a 600 watt constant amp. While I was at it I replaced the stock speakers using Memphis too. That alone was a 4X improvement over stock.

Tapped from a Nexus 6
Wow! Memphis is top notch stuff. I always tell people to upgrade the stock speakers it is amazing what a difference it makes.

Note 4Tified