PowerA MOGA Game-Controller for Android Phones Coming Oct 21 for $50 Bucks

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
moga-android-controller.png

If you've been dreaming of being able to do some serious gaming on your Android phone, but have problems with the touch-screen controls in some games, then your eyes might perk up at this. At the beginning of the summer we got wind of a bluetooth game controller that was purpose-built to dock your Android device and allow you to play games with a typical console-style controller. It was called the MOGA from a company named PowerA. We haven't heard much since that time, until now.

The company just officially announced that the device will hit retail store shelves on October 21st, at a pretty affordable $50 dollar price point.

As far as compatibility goes, the company developed a companion app that helps you determine which games will support the device. PowerA also shared that they are in partnership talks with some of the big names in gaming, like "Gameloft, Atari, Namco Bandai, Sega, Remedy Entertainment, and more." Additionally, they said that several developers have "committed to developing games that will work with MOGA."

It's interesting to note that the controller is compatibile with tablets too, it simply won't clamp on to them like with phones. Here's their full press release,

MOGA™ To Finally Give Console Quality Control
to Android Gamers On October 21

MOGA To Be Available at Key Retailers and Carriers for $49.99

Top Mobile Game Developers Added to Growing Library
of MOGA Enhanced Titles

Woodinville, WA. - September 20, 2012 -- PowerA today announced that MOGA™, the first and only complete mobile gaming system for Android devices, will be available in stores and at online retailers in the U.S. on October 21, 2012. The MOGA Mobile Gaming System will come with the free downloadable MOGA PivotTM App, and a soft case. Also, with the purchase of MOGA, consumers will get two free games, Sonic CDTMand PAC-MAN® by NAMCO as part of a limited time offer at leading retailers. MOGA will be available at key videogame and mobility retailers for a suggested retail price of $49.99 USD.

"Gamers are already walking around with phones with exceptional screens and fast chips," said Eric Bensussen, president of PowerA. "For under $50, they can clip that phone into the MOGA controller and finally get console quality gaming experiences anywhere."

MOGA has attracted support from top mobile developers and publishers who want to bring console-like precision and control to their Android phone and tablet based games. Top publishers such as Gameloft, Atari, Namco Bandai, Sega, Remedy Entertainment and more have committed to developing games that will work with MOGA. New games, developers and publishers and game titles are coming on board each month. Gameloft, for example, has added MOGA support to key titles such as The Dark Knight Rises HD, Asphalt 7: Heat HD and Dungeon Hunter 3. Console developer Remedy's critically acclaimed title Death Rally has also been enhanced to work with MOGA.

"The MOGA SDK made it quick and easy to make our steering controls feel more precise and natural in Death Rally," said Aki Järvilehto, SVP at Remedy Entertainment -- creators of the Max Payne and Alan Wake console franchises. "Finally we have something that's easy to use, simple to implement, and provides console-like controls that gamers have been yearning for."

To empower this advance in mobile gaming, MOGA combines three key innovations into a single powerful system. The MOGA Controller is the first state-of-the-art, full-featured controller designed specifically for mobile devices. Pocket-sized, portable and connected via Bluetooth®, the MOGA Controller features the controls that console gamers and developers demand: dual analog sticks, two shoulder buttons, four action buttons and standardized start and select buttons. In addition, the MOGA SDK provides mobile game developers with greater precision, robust control and enhanced display abilities while enabling fast, efficient development of rich new game titles and MOGA enhancement of existing titles. Finally, the MOGA Pivot App enables gamers to easily browse, find and play a library of MOGA Enhanced games in one convenient location. MOGA Pivot App will be available free via Google Play.

The MOGA system will initially support Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) and higher mobile devices.

Source: PowerA.com/MOGA

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not sure that I like the way the Analog sticks are offset like that. Seems like it would be awkward.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
fitty? Hmmm. Maybe 29.99 I'd be game. Maybe I'll wait till the price goes down. Nice that it will be compatible with tablets too. I guess the phone docking clamp comes down over the middle when used with tablets. Very nice.

kparks510

Reaction score
This could long term bring us better gaming on our droids. Perhaps a xbox or playstation style controller that connects via wireless or controller to micro usb could be in the future as well

52brandon

Reaction score
This could long term bring us better gaming on our droids. Perhaps a xbox or playstation style controller that connects via wireless or controller to micro usb could be in the future as well
the screens are getting bigger, but I don't think they're big enough for a separate controller. Now for the Google Glass thing, that would be pretty freaking trick

52brandon

Reaction score
fitty? Hmmm. Maybe 29.99 I'd be game. Maybe I'll wait till the price goes down. Nice that it will be compatible with tablets too. I guess the phone docking clamp comes down over the middle when used with tablets. Very nice.
for the folks that bought the Xperia Play, $50 is a great value IMO

kparks510

Reaction score
52brandon said:
the screens are getting bigger, but I don't think they're big enough for a separate controller. Now for the Google Glass thing, that would be pretty freaking trick

Eh... I got a 10 inch screen I play on in my truck. I don't see how it would be much different.

52brandon

Reaction score
Eh... I got a 10 inch screen I play on in my truck. I don't see how it would be much different.
there's a couple things about that though. You can't use a detached controller and hold up a tab/phone at the same time. And I was thinking of phones <5" screens, not a tablet as I'm now assuming is what you were talking about

kparks510

Reaction score
52brandon said:
there's a couple things about that though. You can't use a detached controller and hold up a tab/phone at the same time. And I was thinking of phones <5" screens, not a tablet as I'm now assuming is what you were talking about

Yes you do have a point there. As I myself more pictured this for a tablet and likely using my stand. But I see you point with the phones... doesn't seem practical at all when it comes to phones

Anomander

Reaction score
Just got this today from amazon for $25. I have played Aliens vs Predator on it and I love it. Works pretty good with my Galaxy S4 and Silicone case fits snug.