Power/ unlock button position/ reassign to side button?

PCweber

Reaction score
I came from original Droid. Never was fond of the power button on top right. Got the new Droid Pro as I yearned to use the device 1 handed like the BB users are able to because of keyboard. So I get it in mail and the dam power button is on top left! Even worse! I use the phone in left hand and this is not easy to use the power button. So, can I reassign the right side button with an App to be the unlock button?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Not that I'm aware of...could be wrong though.

DroidForums junkie!

google123

Reaction score
Use the no lock app. Go to settings and set the right convenience key to not control anything. Place the no lock widget on ur screen. When your phones screen goes off, pressing the right button will wake the display n bypass the lock screen. U will still have to use power button to shut off the screen manually but setting ur displays timeout to a low setting should take care of that.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

OP
P

PCweber

Reaction score
I tried Nolock. Only problem I see there is any key or button enlocks the phone including all keyboard keys. That makes putting it in your pocket, etc. and usign Nolock not really workable or it will "buttdial" a lot or something.

google123

Reaction score
An upcoming option will be ButtonRemapper that someone is working on over @ XDA developers site. Im not sure if the app supports the Pro yet.

scififan2715

Reaction score
Take a look in /system/usr/keylayout/ in root explorer. On my DX the file is called cdma_shadow-keypad.kl so it will probably be named something like that on the pro, you can flip keys by copying and pasting the names of the keys. Make sure to make a copy of the original file. After it's saved, restart and the keys should be changed. I used this to make the volume rockers on my phone up and down keys. Hope this helps.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

google123

Reaction score
Hey scififan, how do I edit that file? Im new to root explorer. Thanks.

scififan2715

Reaction score
Long press on the file, and open in text editor should be at the bottom of the menu.

google123

Reaction score
Alright I figured it out but power is listed under two keys. One says wake next to it n the other says wake_dropped. Also I was able to turn off the droid startup sound lol.

RevivaL

Reaction score
How did you do that with the sound? So loud everytime I have to turn it on haha

google123

Reaction score
Using root explorer go to /system/media and rename droid.ogg to something like droid.old. now it wont play when your phone starts. Nice.

Also, I am going to disable the camera click sound....:)

Last edited:

RevivaL

Reaction score
Awesome. Thanks. Time to change the bootanimation too wooo

google123

Reaction score
Alright people, being able to remove/add/change things at will is great and all but I just want to go ahead and say that I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE CAUSED TO YOUR PHONE. THANKS. AS YOU WERE. :)

jwgraves

Reaction score
Alright I figured it out but power is listed under two keys. One says wake next to it n the other says wake_dropped. Also I was able to turn off the droid startup sound lol.

Closest filenames I have are:

cdma_venus2-keypad.fl and
sholes-keyhpad.fl

1) which file should I update to assign the right convenience key to wake my phone
2) not sure exactly what to change in this file (I do see a line that has:

key 116 POWER WAKE and another one that has
key 212 CAMERA

?????

brinack

Reaction score
Take a look in /system/usr/keylayout/ in root explorer. On my DX the file is called cdma_shadow-keypad.kl so it will probably be named something like that on the pro, you can flip keys by copying and pasting the names of the keys. Make sure to make a copy of the original file. After it's saved, restart and the keys should be changed. I used this to make the volume rockers on my phone up and down keys. Hope this helps.

Scififan, I see the keys 115 and 116 but when I try to change them it will not save the settings. What would you put in 115 instead of the default volume up to be able to use the key to scoll up and down in webpages??? And do you have any idea why it wont save the changes?? I am not rooted does that matter?

Thanks