Power (top left) button stuck?

ukycats

Reaction score
My Dinc power button appears to be "stuck". When I press it down it doesn't do anything (activate/deactivate sleep mode; allow me to power down my phone). Has anyone else had a similar problem?

The only way I know to wake it is to either take out battery or receive phone call, message, etc. which "wakes" the phone.

Please help!

kmo

Reaction score
Sounds like you need a replacement if that power button isn't functioning.

robdroid

Reaction score
My Dinc power button appears to be "stuck". When I press it down it doesn't do anything (activate/deactivate sleep mode; allow me to power down my phone). Has anyone else had a similar problem?

The only way I know to wake it is to either take out battery or receive phone call, message, etc. which "wakes" the phone.

Please help!

Hi ikycats,
I was used to my HTC Eris being put to sleep or asking if I wanted to do a shut down when pressing the power button. On my HTCI it won't put it to sleep even while on battery and it takes about 2 maybe 3 seconds while pressing and holding down the power button for it to show the power panel (for a lack of a better way to say it). So I ask is it the delay here or is the button jammed as you think and if so maybe take canned air to it like you would to clean a PC Keyboard. Try this with your HTCI off and battery and back cover removed!

MiXoLoGiSt

Reaction score

Please help!

Hi ikycats,
I was used to my HTC Eris being put to sleep or asking if I wanted to do a shut down when pressing the power button. On my HTCI it won't put it to sleep even while on battery and it takes about 2 maybe 3 seconds while pressing and holding down the power button for it to show the power panel (for a lack of a better way to say it). So I ask is it the delay here or is the button jammed as you think and if so maybe take canned air to it like you would to clean a PC Keyboard. Try this with your HTCI off and battery and back cover removed!

The power button should put it to sleep on a quick push. Sounds like both of your devices have something wrong with them.

When i push the power button it will wake/sleep the device rather quickly and when i hold it down for about 2 seconds it will go into the menu and give me the option to power the device down.

robdroid

Reaction score
Hi ikycats,
I was used to my HTC Eris being put to sleep or asking if I wanted to do a shut down when pressing the power button. On my HTCI it won't put it to sleep even while on battery .......
[/quote]

The power button should put it to sleep on a quick push. Sounds like both of your devices have something wrong with them.

When i push the power button it will wake/sleep the device rather quickly and when i hold it down for about 2 seconds it will go into the menu and give me the option to power the device down.[/QUOTE]

so thats is interesting as I never was able to put it to sleep like my Eris by tapping power button......Thanks Mix

OP
U

ukycats

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I will certainly try the high pressured air, but I'm not holding my breath. I have tried holding the button down for several seconds, but with no positive results; it appears to jammed. Previously the button only took a light push to work/ activate (unless powering off).

I'm guessing that I'll need a replacement. But will that require a long delay in receiving it? If so, I'm wondering if I should wait until more are available...a little inconvenient, but I want to minimize the time without it.

Thanks

givmedew

Reaction score
I like to use an alcohol pad and push hard so some of the alcohol comes out then work the button several times. Do this with the battery out just to be safe. This has worked plenty of times for me. I have worked in the cellphone industry for 6 yrs and have done this many times. After doing this make sure you let it dry or air dust it.

ksfrogman

Reaction score
I had this very issue after the 2nd day of using the phone. The tolerance between the back cover and the button is so small that it rubs. I took the battery cover off, and gently filed the opening ever so slightly bigger (fractions of a mm). It worked like a charm.

When I purchased the 2350 mah battery by htc, it came with a new battery cover, which caused the same problem. So I did the same thing to that cover, and it now works too. Apparently, in some phones, the position of the power button must be ever so slightly off relative to the opening which has to be EXACT for the button to move freely.

OP
U

ukycats

Reaction score
I like to use an alcohol pad and push hard so some of the alcohol comes out then work the button several times. Do this with the battery out just to be safe. This has worked plenty of times for me. I have worked in the cellphone industry for 6 yrs and have done this many times. After doing this make sure you let it dry or air dust it.

Just wanted to give an update....

Thank you givmedew for the suggestion. It didn't respond immediately, but after a few days it seems to have done the trick. I think that I will periodically use the alcohol pad to keep it smooth.

Thanks again.

S

spacemanps

my power button was not as responsive when i had the extended battery in there... do you have the extend batt?

albou1

Reaction score
stuck button

I read the comment about cleaning with alcohol and it gave me a thought to clean around my button with the toothpick part of an Oral B dental floss. I used the flat thin part and worked it around my button and now it works fine. Thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited:

Brallan

Reaction score
Shave the case

See fix posted by KSFROGMAN above. I had same problem.... slightly widening the opening worked like a charm. Air, alcohol... only temporary help.

Avoided returning my phone... happiness.

Brall