Power settings,how to optomize battery life

cwalter24

Reaction score
I wanted to see if anyone could make a guide on how to maximize the battery life on the Droid. Sometimes seems like battery life is endless the. Other times is very low. I used standard things such as sportstap widget and USA and Google finance to name a few. Any suggestions my apologies for spelling errors.

Cameron

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can toggle gps on/off. Obviously off will save battery... turn it on only when you need it.

You can toggle wi-fi. Again just turn it on when you need it.

You can toggle background sync (Setting > Accounts & sync) You will need to toggle back on in order to use The Market but this can help save battery life as well. (The Market will not work with this off, but it will prompt you to enable it when you open Market)

Sportstap provides real time scores so you're constantly sending information. I'm not familiar with the app itself but if you can change a setting for how often it updates that could help save battery too.

If you're running anything like Weather Channel, (or any weather app) you're going to be using battery every time the app updates conditions... try changing the settings for update intervals from, for example, say 5 mins to every 30 mins or every hour. This will help conserve battery greatly.

If you're running Facebook the 'sync' has been known to be a real battery drain.

Basically anything that's 'updating' consistently is going to consume power. If you want a better idea of where your battery is going open the Settings > About phone > Battery use.... this will show you where you're battery's power is going.

suzukimethod

Reaction score
set your screen brightness as low as you can stand it. I find that the lowest setting (10%?) is enough for most settings, and i use the 'fastbright' toggle widget to quickly boost my brightness to 50% if the lighting is bad. my display is still high on the list of power use though...

glass2z

Reaction score
Background Sync and Auto- sync

Whats the difference? What should be on and what was turned on by default before I messed with the power settings?

I have Wifi and Bluetooth off.

I have GPS off until i need GPS.

I have my brightness on Auto.

I have my background sync on but my auto-sync off...

not sure if auto-sync should be on or not though...

thanks.

LordKastle

Reaction score
Add the default power management widgit that comes with the phone and add it to one of your homescreens. I usually keep everything off except sync (until I need to turn something on) because it only syncs Gmail for me. I usually keep the brightness indicator on gray which means basically off and turn it on to Green 1 or Green 2 depending on how bright the sun is glaring the screen. Green 2 is very bright and extremely visible even in sunlight but I am sure would kill more of the battery slightly quicker if used 100% of the time.

Reaction score
set your screen brightness as low as you can stand it. I find that the lowest setting (10%?) is enough for most settings, and i use the 'fastbright' toggle widget to quickly boost my brightness to 50% if the lighting is bad. my display is still high on the list of power use though...

Thats a good thing ;) The more you shrink the other things using power, the screen usage % will go up. It seems like you have your screen power management pretty optimized.