Power Saving Mode In Note 7 Scales Down Display Res and Performance.

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Maybe the reason we have not seen the cell phone battery advance like we wish it had is because as battery tech gets better and user interfaces get less resource intensive hardware just seems to get worse and worse. Consumers are even starting to push manufacturers to include 4k screens even though QHD dispalys on cellphones should be plenty. The extra effort it takes to push out all those pixels on QHD displays could effect the power consumption meaning soon you will run out of juice.

For this reason Samsung has included Power Saving Mode in some models. As you can imagine Samsung has tweaked the Power Saving Feature to squeeze every last drop of juice from your phone. The new Power Saving Mode can adjust screen resolution and scale down performance (ie throttling). I rarely use power saving mode. When i do it is normally at the end of a very long work day just to keep my phone going for those last few hours.

via AndroidAuthority

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
But the real question is, does this "adjust resolution" feature actually turn off a percentage of pixels, thereby reducing power consumption, or does it simply consolidate groups of individual pixels into one larger pixel as typical resolution adjustments do? We have 8 cylinder motors on the road now that can shut off 4 cylinders while moving at highway speeds, to reduce gasoline consumption. By turning off every other pixel for instance, it would reduce the resolution and reduce power consumption. Yes, it would also make the screen not as bright (reducing the light output by upwards of 50%), but it would also reduce power consumption by potentially 50% or more if you also get power savings from the supporting driver chips.