1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Power plug question

Discussion in 'Samsung Droid Charge' started by Shurple, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Shurple

Shurple New Member

So far the ONLY power adapter that works with the Charge (that doesn't make the phone get to be 104 degrees+, that doesnt make the screen go haywire (press an A and an A comes out not a P) is the charger that CAME with the phone. So far the Verizon "universal" made my phone go nuts, and this retractable usb i have is great IF it is plugged into the USB wall adapter that came with the phone..... when i plug the native wire or this one into a PC, the phone temp shoots up in 10 minutes with no use. My car one doesnt charge the phone AT ALL either.

Does anyone else have this problem? It's very annoying because i dont want to walk around with my home charger all the time.
  2. BeefJerky

BeefJerky New Member

I don't have this problem, and I've used the following chargers:
    1) HTC 1amp power adapter that came with an XV6800
    2) HTC 1amp power adapter that came with a Touch Pro2
    3) HTC 1amp power adapter that came with a Thunderbolt
    4) Griffin PowerJolt Dual 1-amp USB charger in the car
    5) Standard micro-USB cable hooked to my laptop

I don't even think I've ever used the Samsung power adapter at all. All that being said, it sounds like you may have a defective phone. Either that, or a problem with the software since the rate of charge is controlled by the software.
  3. Shurple

Shurple New Member

not the phone.... this is my third one and it finally works. I talked to someone at the store about it and they said they've been hearing this a lot.

the wire is not the issue, it's what the usb is being plugged into that is the issue. PC, car (car gives NO charging at all), or other adapters. So far only the Samsung square thing you put in the wall works.

if you dont use yours can i buy it?
  4. expidia

expidia New Member

My vote is also for the phone being the issue.

* I use 2 Samsung Docks, home and office that came with their own OEM charger.
    * Also use several former Blackberry chargers.
    * Use a cig. adapter on my boat and in my car with the Samsung Dock when using the GPS.
    * Also charge somtimes by my laptop with several different USB cables.

Using the stock OS and OEM batteries.

No issues with overheating or not charging.

You might need to swap it for another Charge again cause it sounds like it's your phone or the software like the other poster has said.

I have not noticed many posts about this issue on other Charge forums either.
  5. Shurple

Shurple New Member

If I have to get a FOURTH pos, Verizon will have to arrest me for assault with an electronic device as I proceed to shove it......

I have heard of this with other droid charges. I just want another charger not another phone

Sent from my Samsung Charge using DroidForums.
  6. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid New Member

So far, the one that came with my phone and my htc incredible is the only ones that work to connect to my pc (the others will still charge on my pc but not allow me to access my sd card).

I have my motorola car charger and it charges but acts like it's connected to my pc with options to mount my sd (go figure).

I have a generic car charger but it charges the phone very slow (if I'm using gps or listening to music, it drains quicker than it charges).

And then I have other chargers that fit my phone but won't charge.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums
  7. Shurple

Shurple New Member

Exactly my issue!!!!!

8. BeefJerky

BeefJerky New Member

I don't think yours are the same. He never mentioned anything about overheating, only you have. Slower charging isn't unheard of, especially in generic car chargers since they can't supply as much current. It's also not unheard of to have issues with a phone not recognizing a particular charger and not charging at all; it is fairly rare though.

However, your overheating issue is still very unique, and I still bet my money on it being your phone or software.
  9. Shurple

Shurple New Member

Actually the word "overheating" was my 2nd phone. This gets warm but I never said this one overheats.

10. BeefJerky

BeefJerky New Member

Fine. However, you did mention the screen going "haywire" when it gets hot. So, that tells me:
    a) your phone is overheating
    -or-
    b) your screen, touch sensor and/or controller is defective

Either way, you have a problem with your phone. However, rather than listening to the advice that myself and others have given you, you choose to dismiss it. Maybe you just wanted to vent, or maybe you are just stubborn. Either way, it is clear that you don't want to accept sincere advice regarding your situation. As such, I will gracefully bow out of this thread. Goodbye.
  11. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid New Member

Because I am having similar problems with various chargers I would also like to hear if others are having problems and I am not going to automatically run to verizon if it seems to be a common problem with the phone just to get another phone with the same problem... Especially if my phone seems to be working just fine in all other aspects.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums
  12. BeefJerky

BeefJerky New Member

TisMyDroid, your issues are very different from Shurple's issues. My response in post #10 was aimed solely at Shurple, not you. However, I do apologize for not replying to your original post in this thread since I probably could have given you the insight you were wanting. I will make an attempt to do so now.

The issue with some cables not allowing you to access your SD card boils down to some cables being made to charge only. They don't have the wires needed for data, only for power. My guess is this is a money saving measure on the manufacturers part, as I can't think of any other reason to do so.

The issue with slow charging with car chargers is quite common. A lot of them can't supply enough current to charge it fast, or keep up when using the phone.

Your issue with the phone seeing the Moto charger as a USB host device isn't unheard of, but not extremely common either. It boils down to the car charger identifying itself as a USB host device. I suspect it may be for compatibility with certain devices that won't charge unless they detect they are connected to an actual USB host.

As to the ones that won't charge your phone at all, they may simply not be able to supply enough current. I have a couple of Moto chargers from flip phones that simply can't supply the current needed to charge any smartphone. Out of curiosity, what are the output specifications on those chargers?

In conclusion, your issues don't sound phone related. Instead, it sounds like more of an issue with the particular chargers.
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  13. Shurple

Shurple New Member

I too won't just run to Verizon to replace the PHONE when it's the chargers causing the problems.... no matter how similar or different you may think they are, the PHONE is fine.... it doesn't act up unless it's on a NON Samsung that came with the phone charger.

The fact of the matter is, you didn't ANSWER this guy either regarding the chargers because we already KNOW that the USB port in a PC is slower than the outlet, and if the voltage is not right in the adapter, the phone won't charge properly. My Charge as WELL ALWAYS offers Mass storage or Media when i plug it into ANYTHING unless it is the cable and plug that came with the phone!

I bought a retractable charging cable and it works fine, unfortunately not in a PC (yes it charges but it doesn't charge quickly), if i plug it into my car, it has the symbol it's charging but in an hour and a half it went up 1%, and the charger in the car is a USB to car adapter that i had with my iPhone4...... The Verizon charger is the one that made it go haywire so i returned it..... It's silly to exchange a NEW replacement for a REFURB that Verizon will toss at me. Refurbs are crap.

My phone doesn't go haywire with it's own charger.....
    Now how does that sound like a phone issue when it CLEARLY is a CHARGER issue?!

The question is: WHAT do we DO about it? What charger actually WORKS with this phone?

I assumed with all my posts about having 3 of these phones, I didn't deem it necessary to rehash it all over again for no reason in this post.
  14. bendystrawboy

bendystrawboy New Member

No android will charge quicly from a pc...why do you expect yours too?

Im sure samsung sells a charger, buy it.
  15. Shurple

Shurple New Member

Obviously you "are so sure" but you are AGAIN-----WRONG. They don't sell the charger that came with the phone. Don't you think I looked? (by the way learn the English language.... "why do you expect yours too" should be "expect yours to".... see, "too" means ALSO. )

Anyway thanks for stopping by and spreading your knowledge
  16. nikecar

nikecar New Member

You know its bad when the Grammar police comes out to put a beat down.

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums
  17. Shurple

Shurple New Member

:icon_ banana: :p
  18. CTownDroid

CTownDroid Member

What he said!

Use your original charger that came with the phone, buy a Verizon car charger for the Charge. Do not use a USB cord and expect it to charge the phone. I had an old Verizon car charger and had to use the USB portion of it since the actual cord broke. This worked fine for my Original Droid but not the Charge. When I plugged it in that way it assumed it was a mass storage device until I changed it to ask. While plugged in this way I would stream Pandora and the phone DIDN'T, charge may have lost a little actually. Bought a new car charger and all is great. (Tried the USB portion on this new one and same thing happened) I'm assuming that the 500MA put out by a USB connection isn't enough to charge these beasts, just enough to maintain)

OP, is this your first Droid?
  19. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid New Member

[/quote]
    The issue with some cables not allowing you to access your SD card boils down to some cables being made to charge only. They don't have the wires needed for data, only for power. My guess is this is a money saving measure on the manufacturers part, as I can't think of any other reason to do so.

The issue with slow charging with car chargers is quite common. A lot of them can't supply enough current to charge it fast, or keep up when using the phone.

Your issue with the phone seeing the Moto charger as a USB host device isn't unheard of, but not extremely common either. It boils down to the car charger identifying itself as a USB host device. I suspect it may be for compatibility with certain devices that won't charge unless they detect they are connected to an actual USB host.

As to the ones that won't charge your phone at all, they may simply not be able to supply enough current. I have a couple of Moto chargers from flip phones that simply can't supply the current needed to charge any smartphone. Out of curiosity, what are the output specifications on those chargers?

In conclusion, your issues don't sound phone related. Instead, it sounds like more of an issue with the particular chargers.[/QUOTE]

You may be right and maybe is a phone software issue that only affects the charging port. It may also just be the chargers themselves are not capable for the Charge. The chargers I mentioned work as intended for the device it belongs to.

For example: One of the chargers is for an android LG vortex. It is capable of allowing my son's LG to access his sd card when plugged into the computer so it does have the wires needed for data. My Moto charger that came with my Droid1 also has data capability but does not allow my Charge to access data when plugged into the pc... but they both will charge my Charge when plugged into the pc. But my HTC Incredible charger works fine plugged into the pc. And I don't understand why a charger would be capable of plugging into USB if it doesn't have data capability.

The LG vortex charger-usb charger output is 5v, 0.7a
    The HTC charger-usb charger output is 5v, 1a
    The Charge charger is 5v, 1a

I agree the chargers that won't charge my phone at all probably do not have enough charging ability to charge my phone as they are from old phones. output secs from one of them is 4.8v, 0.4a

My moto car charger was bought specifically for my Droid1 but it never saw my droid1 or my Incredible as a USB host device but sees my Charge as one.
    Output specs for the moto car charger is is 4.75-5.25v, 0-950mA.
    Output specs for the generic car charger (Technocel) that charges very slow is not known cuz it doesn't say. It doesn't even have the output specs on the Technocel web page.

Looking up the car charger specific for the Samsung Charge, output is 5v, 700mA.

After looking at all the output specs, it seems that the Charge is very specific about which charger will work properly and which won't. It wouldn't make sense to return the phone if it is by nature that any Charge will do the same. I also have had cheap chargers that make the phone go crazy but the charger has done it on other phones as well.

My guess is that any charger-usb would need to be output 5v, 1a
    Car charger would need to be output 5v, 700mA

How about you, Shurple, how does the output specs on your chargers compare to the ones that don't work with my Charge?
  20. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid New Member

No one expected the phone to charge quickly while plugged into pc but we expect it to access the phone's data while plugged into the pc.

I do want my car charger to be able to charge enough to be able to actually use my phone for music or navigation without losing charge while plugged in.

I did beleive that one of the glories of phones' charging port now being universal is that you don't have to go out and buy another $30 car charger everytime you upgrade your phone and that you don't have to have a million different chargers laying all over your house b/c each only works for a specific phone. I have five different cell phones that live in my house. I thought it was nice that we can all use the same charger now. Apparently the Charge is a little more finnicky than the other phones or my previous droids.
Search tags for this page
0.4a enough to charge smartphone
does samsung s4 and droid use same charger plug
does samsung s4 use the same charger cord as droid

droid 4 charging plug voltage

droid charge power cord connection problems
how to replace power jack in samsung droid charge?
htc droid power connector problem
htc thunderbolt power plug to loose problem
note 2 power plug problems
output 5v 700ma
problems with samsung charging plug

samsung outlet plug overheating

what plug works for droid charge
which power plug is used for samsung phones
will a droid x power plug work on a galaxy s4